Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Winter Nationals

racerba

Why does S&W feel that it's fair to wait until they get everybody's applications in, then decide to use a lottery to select slots. They then split up people who sent their applications in together so they can't shoot together. You may say that I am disgruntled because I did not receive a slot. You would be incorrect. The reason I am disgruntled is because 3 of us sent in our applications in at the same time and 2 of us got a slot while the other was put on a waiting list. Not only was the 3rd person put on a waiting list but their number is behind another who sent in their application a week later. I believe that by S&W putting a send in dateline, they added to the problem. They claimed that because of overwhelming response, they were forced to use the lottery. Fine, use the lottery for all the applications that were sent in day by day. I know some people who sent in their application via FedEx and didn't get a slot. FedEx was a good idea, so I thought. They should take applications as a first come first serve basis like other matches. I know a few people who are withdrawing from the match and requesting their money back because their squad requests were seperated. Squads requests are important due to travel and lodging reasons. I do realize that not everybody will receive their requests, but it seems that most people did not receive their requests, if any at all.

I had an awakening several years ago when a fairly young shooter (a lot younger than me) said one of those "ultimate truths." He said while shooting as we do it appears to be an individual activity it is really a social activity and we like to shoot with our friends. Splitting up a requested squad for some is easily enough to kill the attendance of all the shooters. I know I've cancelled before for just this reason.

In this case it seems the match organizers have not recognized this truth and will set up a situation with a lot of extra paperwork for themselves. Hope they reconsider.

This is one of the major reasons I find the on line squading system being used in some USPSA matches to not work well. I requires all competitors to log on and juggle into a squad before all the slots go to others.

Just some thoughts.

Was there yesterday for IDPA Safety Officer Training: If you are shooting a semi-auto, you must wear a cap with brim (to prevent ejected brass from hitting you in your eyes). They even have neat, white "painter" style caps available if you didn't bring your own.

Very valuable training session (for any shooting discipline) tought by terrific instructors, if you ever get the chance.

Was there yesterday for IDPA Safety Officer Training: If you are shooting a semi-auto, you must wear a cap with brim (to prevent ejected brass from hitting you in your eyes). They even have neat, white "painter" style caps available if you didn't bring your own.

Very valuable training session (for any shooting discipline) tought by terrific instructors, if you ever get the chance.

Actually that's not a bad idea along with proper eye protection. The training classes I've taken suggested and required this as well. I'm sure the SO classes were educational. Enjoy the match. Wish I was there!

That and last years "hat" ruling kind of make me glad I am not going this coming year.

The "Hat ruling" you mention is a Smith & Wesson range requirement for safety reasons. That and the side shields or wrap around glasses have been required at that range for the 20 plus years I have shot there in training etc.

Regards,