Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing primers from a 1050

Well it finally happened, I ran out of bullets while loading along yesterday. The problem was I still had about 50 primers left in the machine, normally I just run the primers out. But that was not an option this time. Are there any suggestions if how to remove a fairly large amount of primmers from the machine. Any kind of tips are welcome.

The fastest is probably to cycle the machine and pick up primers with a tweezer. Only other option I know is to slide pawl assembly on tube up then remove 2 screws on base flange. As you tilt tube you can get a finger under it but there will be some spillage. Fine if you are changing primer size but if not I would use option 1.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with leaving them where they are if your next load will use the same primer.

Edited by mcracco

1) Leave them as is

2) Slide finger under blast shield--then, where are you going to put them? Do you still have the plastic tray to put them back it? You don't put them in a jar or such. Best would be the flipper tray.

Slide up the Primer slide arm ( spring loaded lever on the primer blast shield). Then loosen the crescent on the rear of the primer slide raceway like you are going to take the primer slide out. Adjust it so you could take the primer slide out. Then take a little butter dish or container and put it under the cut out where the damaged primers go when they fall out under the machine. Then take a screwdriver or something that will fit in between the bushing on the primer slide and work the primer slide back and forth. You will start working the primers out of the tube as they fall into your container until the tube is empty. It helps to keep the primer tube rod in the tube while you are doing this for gravity to make them drop down faster........Works just fine. When you are done, Readjust and start loading again!

DougC

Remove the white primer station locator tab, Slide the primer shuttle cock lever arm up the blast shield tube as noted above. Cut a business card or index card at just about the width of the shuttle cock X long ways. Slide the card along the top of the shuttle cock until it goes under the primer tube and out the other end towards the index plate, you may have to jiggle the shuttle cock a little to get it under the tube. Fold up both ends of the card to make a sort of cradle. Undo the two hex screws holding the primer tube on the body of the 1050. Grasping both ends of the card with the bottom of the assembly lift it up carefully.

Take this moment to run a long pipe cleaner through the tube to clean it up.