Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheutzen/Caspian 9x23, main/hammer spring

Dawgfish

I was given a Scheutzen/Caspian 1911 in 9x23 Winchester a few months back (Fully supported ramped barrel). Very few round through it, maybe 10 or less.

IMG_1565.jpg

Finally got in my 9mm bullets from Montana Gold, my Starline brass, and a caliber conversion from Dillon so I could start reloading for this pistol.

I loaded up 20 light loads, 6.1gr of Win 231, moving out at 1200+ FPS, and I got some serious cratering of the primer. I've read where primers are the weak link of this caliber, so I should consider moving to small rifle to avoid primer blow-out. Loaded up 10 of those with 6.1gr of 231, and the hammer doesn't have enough force to ignite the primer. This is why I am asking about the hammer/main spring. Also, the slide would not lock back with these "plinker" loads on an empty mag.

If I increase the tension on the mainspring it will likely change other movements withing the recoil impulse. I am purchasing a master spring kit that will have springe from 18-23#'s and 25-30#'s. Would it be wise to purchase lower power recoil springs to keep all things equal. Should I look into some sort of buffer to reduce additional wear elsewhere because of thse adjustments? What kind of timing issues can I expect?

My duty gun was a bone stock 4006, and my back-up was an HK USP compact, also in .40 S&W, and I shoot a few thousand rounds out of my stock XD .45 every year. They eat everything I feed them, no FTF, etc, so I'm not new to shooting, but I'm new to 1911's, and I'm not accustomed to having to adjust a pistol like this.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dawgfish