Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WNPL Cold As Hell Match

ErikW

Heck, I went up for several 3gun matches in Reno last winter. Drove up through a blizzard for the January one. For the 3 gun match on Saturday, it was sunny, calm and in the mid twenties all day. You don’t really know what shooting in the snow is like until you plop down prone in 8 inches of fresh powder and find out your JP tank brake is cranking up mini-blizzards on every shot. I came up from that position looking and feeling like frosty the snowman.

The pistol match the next day was about like Erik described, overcast, windy and in the teens all day. You don’t care about your brass and nothing sticks to anything unless it’s your flesh to cold metal ;-)

Overall, it‘s real big fun. Shooting in the snow is way better than any shooting in the rain and mud that I have ever done. No joke, cold is better than wet any day. I can always add and remove layers of clothing, but once you are wet, you are miserable. Add mud and it’s a real joy.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

11 F with snow on the ground in Reno beats the hell out of 103 F with 90% humidity in Barry!

George, the 3 gun match the day before was colder. Monte the Merciless had us shooting weak-hand out to 280 yards. I mono-podded on a table top with a couple inches of packed snow and expected my JP-BC comp to scatter it, but nothing happened.

Yeah, I agree about hot and humid. Hot or cold, if you are wet, you are miserable.

Packed and powder are two differnt’ animals, as you have probably found out by now. My barrel was barely above it when I went prone. The pistol got buried too and was shedding snow as I started shooting it.

I’m gonna try and get up for some of the monthly 3gun and pistol matches after Christmas. See ya in January.

Happy Holidays,

I have an idea ...

Let's start a topic (or continue in this topic) to report our respective cold weather match adventures each week. We'll need to report temperatures, wind chills, and other general weather facts such as precipitiation, snow on the ground, etc.

And of course share anecdotes about falling, losing sensation in our fingers, and all of the other fun stuff we'll experience between now and March.

Looks like home. If you can still feel your hands it isn't that cold. ;) Last match here was in the high 20's with 5-10 mph winds :D I love it that we shoot no matter what the weather throws at us, it is hard to compete with the warm weather sissy boys on classifiers this time of the year though :)

I'll admit it, I'm a girlyman when it comes to cold. I have lived all around the world, and I have had everything on that I've owned and not been able to get or stay warm, but I can always find a way to get cool. Hey even north Louisiana is too cold in the winter!

Mark