Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning my new Rem 1100 CM

sgrc1

finally got my brand new Rem 1100CM, just shot it yesterday and it ran perfectly, only shot around 50 rnds.

Now I wonder what is the proper way to clean it?, How do you all clean the gun, how often is needed, and with what cleaning elements?

As always, Thanks.

Sergio

Remove magazine tube extension, barrel, and rings. With Hoppes, clean bore, magazine tube exterior, and rings. Run a silicone rag inside magazine tube and extension. Wipe down the mag tube exterior with a silicone rag. Do not oil! Reassemble.

What I described would be after a match, practice session, or couple hundred rounds. Every once in a while I'll pull out the bolt and carrier for cleaning and lubrication and also remove the trigger group so I can Slide-Glide the action bars. Remington says not to lube the trigger group. I'll apply SG to the various bearing surfaces.

Obviously I'm in the "run it dry" camp. Works for me. Others think Rem gas systems should be run well-lubricated. Doesn't work for me. Some searching should reveal topics discussing 1100 lubrication or lack thereof.

Any cleaning to the trigger mechanism?.

There's no point in cleaning an 1100 unless you're going tear the entire gun down. The gas system, by virtue of design, blows exhaust gas directly into the action. It only takes a couple extra minutes to pop out the trigger housing, hose it down with brake cleaner, relube, then reassemble.

An air compressor is very handy for blowing all the brake cleaner out of the gun so you don't have to wait for it to evaporate.