Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another way to correct POI?

Ryan N

POI with slugs seems to plague even the greatest 3-gun SG. I have read numerous posts about folks smacking their barrel against a tree and now there seems to be a trueing technique that involves aligning how the mag tube is inserted into the receiver.

I got a Versamax Tactical earlier this month. My 1st range trip showed that I was hitting POA with a slug of two at 50 yards. I called it good. But for some reason I am now hitting 4" to the right at 50 yards. I have checked my barrel with a straight edge and it appears to be straight. I have also checked the alignment of the mag tube with the receiver and it appears to be good(although I haven't put an indicator on it). I shot slugs with the barrel clamp on, barrel clamp off, mag tube tight and mag tube loose(made no difference in windage). My mid rib bead is right on center, but my front sight is off center to the right ~.010"(yes, to the right).

I am considering moving the mid-bead to the left to correct this problem. My math tells me if I move my mid bead to the left ~.020 then my 4" error at 50yds will be corrected. There is 8.5" between the mid bead and front sight on my VM.

I think its worth a shot, no real harm done trying it other than an extra hole in the rib. But the mid bead would be off center .020".

Thoughts?

I am intrigued by Kurt's invention, but moving the bead is something that I can easily do myself.

Can you move/twist/cant the breach end of front sight bead to the right a bit more?

Move the rear sight (or mid bead) the same direction you want the bullets to move on the target- OR - move the front sight the opposite direction you want the bullets to move on the target

Oh now that,s just crazy J.J. who in the world thought that silly idea up? :roflol:

Any gunsmith that can mill in a dove tail can, or if your handy with a 60 degree triangle file you can dio it yourself.

I actually have the means and ability to cut a dovetail for a rear sight. I may explore that option.

I have also been temped to try to smack the barrel against a tree. I guess its the kind of thing in which you take the barrel off and smack it, put it together and shoot it, then take it off and smack is some more.

Oh now that,s just crazy J.J. who in the world thought that silly idea up? :roflol:

Any gunsmith that can mill in a dove tail can, or if your handy with a 60 degree triangle file you can dio it yourself.

Handy with a file he says.

I'm about as handy with a file as I am with the drill bit that is broken off and stuck in the 1100 magnum barrel. I think I will send my wacked barrel off If I think I need a flipy rear.