Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M 3500

EricS

Ok, some pics. Sorry But it looks like I'll have to do these one at a time.

The threads on the stock M3500 magazine tube with the Nut from the NC Nova extension. I'm pretty sure those are square buttress threads. Note that I did not cut off the unthreaded portion of the tube.

DSC02558_zps861d3f66.jpg

Edited by EricS

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears as though the threads on your shotgun are approximately the same width on the groove as the thread. On my shotgun the threads are noticeably wider than the grooves between them (almost twice as wide). Would you say that what I am seeing from your photo is correct? I will try to post a photo of my threads when I get to the shop in the morning. It could be a manufacturing issue on the tube, but the cap that came on the mag tube threaded on easily. My Nordic nut only went on about 2-1/2 turns before it wouldn't turn by hand. Wouldn't even come close to bottoming out like yours. There are definitely some discrepancies here, just trying to figure out if the gun or the nut is what varies. I appreciate the help!

Tom

"It appears as though the threads on your shotgun are approximately the same width on the groove as the thread. On my shotgun the threads are noticeably wider than the grooves between them (almost twice as wide). Would you say that what I am seeing from your photo is correct?"

I think you're exactly right Tom. The threads are very even and uniform and the spacing is the same is the thread width to my eye. In looking at the stock tube and comparing it to the extension the thread patterns match up as well as I can discern though the nut threads are sharper (perhaps rounder is a better description), not flattened like the shotgun's.

This thread and the M3000 thread have me quite interested...hmmm.

Are the internals the same as best anyone can tell? I don't really have the need for a 3.5" shotgun, if I were to ever turn it into a hunting shotgun. But, with that in mind I already have a 3" 870 I could hunt with. I would be concerned about spring weights, and maybe the bolt weight working with standard 2-3/4" loads.

It sounds like you haven't had any issues as long as you have stayed away from light 2-3/4" loads.

A few of the other posters have looked them over, or had others do the same, and as far as we can tell the only differences are the longer receiver and a stouter recoil spring (probably). Mine will handle 2 3/4" 3 dr. eq (1200 fps) 1 1/8 oz. 7.5s and 8s all day long. From what others are saying that's not a fluke. Since P.E.Kelley pointed me at this shotgun I've had nothing but good experiences with it, including from Nordic Components for accessories. I recommend the platform, whether the M3000 or M3500, unreservedly. I even got my brother in law hooked. He's picking his 3000 up next week. Mine will be seeing 3 Gun duty starting next month and every month for the rest of the year. Clean it, lube it and run shoot it. Try it with various ammo and see what she runs. My guess is most everything.

If your wanting just a 3 gun shotgun go the M3000 over the M3500 just like everybody does with the M2 over the Super Black Eagle. If you want it to serve double duty for slaying big birds get the M3500 just don't expect it to run the light 1 1/8 oz 1145 fps stuff. I've seen several Super Black Eagles at matches. If you feed it regular 1200, 1250, or 1300 fps loads your probably fine.

Gentlemen,

I first 75 rounds I have shot out of my m3500 were light loads. About 50 were 1350 fps and the other 25 were 1200 fps. It never had any problems at all. Those 1200 fps were the Winchester Wal-Mart cheapo ammo. I will shoot more tomorrow but I don't think it would have any trouble shooting 1145 fps shells. I was also shooting when it was about 35 degrees out which has caused me trouble with other semi auto shotguns.

As a direct result of Patrick Kelley's sharing of his thoughts, research and knowledge here and in the M3000 thread I have subscribed to Shooting Illustrated magazine. I believe in supporting those who support us and Mister Kelley is deserving of both that support and praise for his work. Money where my mouth is as it were. I also fired off a thanks to Shooting Illustrated along with my subscription. Gun writers of Patrick Kelley's caliber are small and seemingly shrinking by the day. We are all very fortunate to have him in our midst.

Thanks Patrick!

Eric

Edited by EricS

I shoot 150 more rounds out of my m3500 this morning. 25 degrees outside but it ran great. Most were 3 drams with 1oz shot. That takes it to over 225 light loads with 0 ftf or fte. This gun is amazing!

As a direct result of Patrick Kelley's sharing of his thoughts, research and knowledge here and in the M3000 thread I have subscribed to Shooting Illustrated magazine. I believe in supporting those who support us and Mister Kelley is deserving of both that support and praise for his work. Money where my mouth is as it were. I also fired off a thanks to Shooting Illustrated along with my subscription. Gun writers of Patrick Kelley's caliber are small and seemingly shrinking by the day. We are all very fortunate to have him in our midst.

Thanks Patrick!

Eric

I can not express to you how much I appreciate your comments. I love working with real gun guys and am fortunate to work a magazine or two that

does too!

Thanks Patrick!

Eric

Same here. Went and bought a subscription last night based almost solely off of Patrick and the M3000 threads on here. Don't want to miss anything!

...and, one more subscription. Thanks, Patrick! You are a great representative of the sport. Now I just need to get my hands on the Stoeger article so I can plan on building my (for now) backup 3-Gun shotgun.

Thanks Mr. Kelley for the article. I looked every where for this magazine/article but had no luck so I gave up and ordered it online.

Here is the contact I found if you would like to let them know your thoughts on needing more Patrick Kelley articles publications@nrahq.org

Email sent.

Where did u order it online?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

• 7 months later...

Just tried my M3500. Tried to break it in with 25 OO buck, 10 3" Magnum turkey loads and 5 slugs. Then I went to 3 boxes of bird shot.

The slugs shot a little low at first but my cheek was really low on the stock and I only saw half the bead. When I was looking over the barrel it seemed to be poa/poi at about 22 yards. Have to get a few more boxes and try them out.

All of the high brass shells worked great. I then went to the Federal Target Load 2 3/4 dram 8 shot at 1145 fps on the box. There were 6 failures to feed between 50 shells and also 2 failures to lock back on last round. All FTFs only needed me to recharge the gun. I also had A box of 3 dram 7.5 shot from Estate that said 1200 fps on the box. All 25 shells fed and ejected fine and also ejected decently out of the gun as opposed to the federals that were about a foot to my right.

I will just shoot nothing but the 3 dram 1200fps stuff or better and hope that it continues to like the new diet. Both the Federal and Estate loads were 1 1/8 oz shot. It is amazing what 55 fps can do I guess.

The stock tube holds 5 2 3/4 shells in the tube plus I was able to ghost load a shell (as already known). I may order a plus 1 if I can find one, local law limit is 6 max.

I may find that with further break in the Federal Target loads will work but for now they will only be for practice.

Looking forward to modding the gun and also competing with it.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

The Federals are still hit and miss. They seem to work most of the time but I was getting 1 fail to feed every other load of the tube.

I also had some Super X 7.5s that go 1255 and I was getting some failures to feed with those even though they felt a little stouter than the Federal top gun loads.

I will have to get some more turkey loads or just high brass loads and continue to try to break her in so she may be more reliable with the skeet loads.

Just how wet should I keep the bolt? When I had a few failures I put 2 drops on the rail and worked the bolt back and forth and she ran 3 tubes without issue.

Brian