Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder coating a glock slide

openglock34

hello fellow glockers,

ive once again returned for guidance. i have my open glock 34 (no sh@! huh) and i dont necesarrily want to hard chrome the slide. i thought about getting it powdercoated silver to match all my other do dads, slide rack, carver mount, soon to arrive comp etc. has anyone ever heard of this being done. will it work ok..and what do i need to do? do i need to just remove all the internals. extractor firing pin plunger etc. any guidance is needed

thanks .. shawn

Powder coating, while tougher than regular paint, is not as tough as blueing, chrome or some of the gunsmith paints that are available from Brownells. It's also a lot thicker and may cause some clearance problems unless you are very careful. Powder coats scrape and bruise a lot easier than you think and repairs to the finish are a bitch.

For a silver color, consider matte chrome, electroless nickel or silver gunsmith paint from Brownells.

I think it depends on the skill of the person powder coating. I've seen exceptional and VERY tough powder coating, and I've seen it done very poorly - just like bake on finishes.

I personally would like to powder coat an open gun as well. Remains to be seen if it happens, but let us know if you find a good source.

Paul

this is all great info. i thought about having the tenifer bead blasted off but the gun is going to brian hawley first week of january and he is going to have the slide just hard chromed. so my glock wont be the ugly duckling in the 1911 fashion show called ipsc.