Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MTAC Zero with 69gr MK for Multi Gun

CocoBolo

Time to Mount the Burris MTAC I bought a year ago and go shooting.

I read last year a couple posts on how to Zero this scope for multi Gun.

I have a 20" rifle and will be shooting my 69gr Sierra Match King reloads.

I'll probably start out on a combo 25 yard and 100 yard range, so any tips will help.

The most common match I shoot has paper out to 25 yards and flagging steel out to 200 yards.

I do have the instructions that came with the scope, but I read something about using the top and bottom of the big dot but don't recall what the tip said about that.

Running the MTAC 1-4 I zeroed at 50. It provides an excellent crossover at 200-225 with less than 1.5" POI change on inbetween ranges. I then use the istrelok app and set it up with my ammo of choice. For 99% of 3 gun, the difference between a 55 and a 69 is nonexistent. However, when stretching to 300+ you'll need to use the app. The info on the Burris website is extremely general. When using the app, depending on your elevation, etc., you'll see a significant change in your POI compared to what Burris suggests. For example, using my pet load 0-200 is pretty much on. But the Burris suggested 300 dot is really 284; the 600 dot is really 548; and so on. I've found that once you find YOUR load, the combo of the MTAC, the istrelok app and a range finder is truly deadly for long-range 3 gun first round hits.

Most 3-gunners use a 50m zero, which comes in around 200 also. Then Crono your long range ammo and calculate you dope based on the scope reticle. It is also very important to verify you calculated dope. Just to make sure you didn't make a mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

I used a 300 yard zero with this scope. The bottom of the top "T" was on at 100 and I used the top edge or the bottom edge of the dot a lot at different ranges. It took some getting used to, but it seemed to work for me. I never used the bottom dots, too small.