Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading gate comparison and questions on the new A5

alma

I have been making plans for building a new 3Gun shotgun and am trying to decide on which model to use. The easy answer is to get Benny to build a VM but part of me likes to go the road less traveled. I currently run a Browning Gold and despite other reports of problems it has been running 100% for me for years. The biggest issues have to do with tuning the springs correctly to get the Auto Load feature running reliably.

While looking at new shotguns the other day I noticed that the tube in the loading port for the new A5 looked to be set more shallow in the loading port than any of the other major guns. That is combined with a forend that keeps the lines from the loading port and doesn't hit a lip (like the VM) or bulge out (like the M2). The SN runs along side the port but it isn't as low as it is on the 1301 so opening up the port shouldn't be an issue. I am wondering whether the A5 could be an ideal gun for quad loading or whether the auto load just introduced too many variables to run reliably.

One possible other advantage of the A5 auto load is that it allows you to remove ammo directly from the tube without having to cycle it through the chamber. That might be a nice feature for 3 gunners who are diligently practicing loads at home.

I am including a couple of pictures for comparison. The first is the side by side of the stock A5, 1301, VM, and M2 (20 gauge).

Second is a Browning stock photo of the loading port, and finally a side profile.

Thoughts on making the new A5 into a competitive gun?

I have had a browning gold hunter for about 17 years. Last week i put a nordic +4 extension on it and left the spring about 14" out the end of the tube. With a full mag when you shake the gun the bolt opens and starts to push rearward. Not an ideal situation and could cause problems when firing. I know i left the spring too long but i loaded the mag up and left it like that for 4 days to compress it a little. It seems to work really well now and if it does start giving trouble i guess i will trim the spring back another inch.

In short, i havnt had any of the issues that are associated with the autoload system and spring tensions requiring being balanced.

If you can get it to work then go the A5, the autoload feature is a great thing to have although a little finicky to some users. A little running in can never go astray and could be the reason why mine works.

I dont know what the 3gun scene is like over there but every man and his dog seems to run benellis here so being a little different and beating the tacticool crowd with a wooden stocked hunting shotty is a very rewarding experience!

Edited by Towely

Towley,

You should give Briley a call. They use to sell a Browning Gold package that included a reduced power carrier latch spring and I think a new main spring. Getting the carrier latch spring tuned to the mag tube spring tension seemed to be where most had issues. My other option is getting a longer Nordic extension on my Gold and continuing to run that.

I have done a lot of work on the loading Port so far and while it's not pretty, I can now quad load well. I will post pics when I get home in January.

I have had a browning gold hunter for about 17 years. Last week i put a nordic +4 extension on it and left the spring about 14" out the end of the tube. With a full mag when you shake the gun the bolt opens and starts to push rearward. Not an ideal situation and could cause problems when firing. I know i left the spring too long but i loaded the mag up and left it like that for 4 days to decompress it a little. It seems to work really well now and if it does start giving trouble i guess i will trim the spring back another inch.

In short, i havnt had any of the issues that are associated with the autoload system and spring tensions requiring being balanced.

If you can get it to work then go the A5, the autoload is a great system although a little finicky to some. A little running in can never go astray and could be the reason why mine works.

I dont know what the 3gun scene is like over there but every man and his dog seems to run benellis here so being a little different and beating the tacticool crowd with a wooden stocked hunting shotty is a very rewarding experience!

Another option is to put a 3.5" recoil spring/action spring ( the one in the stock) in it. This will help compensate for the long mag tube spring. I have run mine like this for the last three years.

Thanks guys i will keep your suggestions in mind although being in NZ can make it a little hard to source bits and pieces. I havnt had any issues yet but stoppages are bound to happen during matches and rarely occur during testing, well for me anyway. Murphys law. Its a 3" chamber 28" barrel if that helps with anything.

Thanks guys i will keep your suggestions in mind although being in NZ can make it a little hard to source bits and pieces. I havnt had any issues yet but stoppages are bound to happen during matches and rarely occur during testing, well for me anyway. Murphys law. Its a 3" chamber 28" barrel if that helps with anything.

I just checked Briley and they still offer the three springs with its Browning Gold extension kits. Maybe they would sell the springs separately.

Here is Briley's write up on it: http://www.briley.com/browninggold10shotmagazineextension.aspx

"The Browning Gold has a unique self loading system which requires the use of an increased power recoil spring and a reduced power latch spring. The gun will not function reliably without exchanging these springs. Replacing the extension, follower and magazine spring can easily be done but the recoil spring and latch spring may require the services of a qualified gunsmith. Also fitting this extension system may prevent reliable ejection of light 1oz loads. This can usually be corrected by a qualified gunsmith."

I seem to recall another taking the "road less traveled" as far as shotguns go. Look on YouTube for Tommy Thacker Load Eight video and notice the gun.....

I could not seem to paste a link here.....

Okay, so maybe I am not crazy. Clearly he is running a new A5.

Am I missing something else here?

Tommy Thacker and Greg Jordan have been running a5s all year and obviously very well with them both getting ready to

Shoot for 50gs here in January!....the auto load is a real game changer taking away the port load and a lot less counting

Are you aware of any required mods to get them running reliably? It's good to see confirmation of potential and I don't understand why more aren't looking at this. I loved the auto load on my Browning Gold (no matter where I am in the stage I just keep shoving them into the same hole) but the thing I am really interested in seeing is how well these can be quad loaded.

As posted before the video of tommy quad loading his a5 looks pretty good. Tommy and Greg both have quad loaded with the a5 all year. From talking to Greg they are running there Brownings completely stock with the exception of the extension tube and they have changed the carrier latch spring with an fn spring.

I shot Browning gold for years and got new A5 last feb and shot it all season. 26" barrel with extension to end of barrel. Not finiky like the gold. So what I had to do was grind extractor just a little to get a little more hook and unlike the gold need to keep real strong spring in mag extension especially with long extension.When you end up shooting 26 rd shotgun stage from hell you will be real happy you have 100% bottom feeder.

After seeing pictures of Tommy's massive loading port on his A5 then shooting TK Martindale from The Shooters Source gun at a match I bought a used A5 with a 30" barrel off gun broker. TK told me I had to get a Nordic Components nut for an FN and have it turned down to fit into the forend. I have a a 12 round tube on it and it still sticks out a couple inches past the barrel. I shot about 250 rounds through it practicing. Plan is to open up the loading port and run a few thousand rounds through it to see if its up to the task of being my go to gun for next season. The internals of the bolt carrier group look wimpier than the Benelli. So I'm anxious to see how it holds up.

Not having to worry about a port load ever is huge for a new shooter and a definite advantage for anyone. The inertia system's reliability is why so many of us run the Benelli. So the A5 with the inertia or kinetic action and the auto load feature could be the next step in 3 gun shotguns IMO. The bad part is that these guns are even more expensive than a Benelli.

Thanks for sharing; that is huge. Like I said before it seems like a very shallow loading port and the forend doesn't get in the way as well. I will look forward to hearing how the torture test goes but in the meantime I am going to start shopping for one of these.

As promised here is a picture of the loading port on my Browning Gold. In addition to widening the port I have been working to eliminate the hump caused by the forend. Since there was a gap I fit and epoxied a small piece of plastic under the forend and smoothed it out. The second picture compares the profile with the stock forend.