Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB priming problem

First let me say how much I really like my SDB. It has loaded many rounds flawlessly for me. (until recently)

Problem: (Primer cup binding against bottom of shell at end of rotation)

When shellplate rotates the primer cup seems to come up a bit early catching the underside of the shell plate just ahead of the primer hole. This causes the primer cup to snap as it pops up through shellplate at the end of the rotation flipping primers about 40% of the time now.

Attempted remedies: (so far)

I have taken the shell plate and primer assy off and cleaned. I also loosened the primer punch retaining screw and reseated back down and retightened. This worked before but has not remedied this time.

Thanks in advance for your help on my SBD.

OG03

Per the SDB manual: If the primer cup is not centered under the shellplate or snaps into place when the handle is raised it may be necessary to adjust the primer slide travel by turning the slide stop adjustment screw (#13961b) by 1/8 turn increments (in or out for your adjustment). It is located between the primer slide and the coiled spring (#13798) on the front on the housing.

You have to remove the white plastic primer slide support by removing the bottom two screws that hold the primer assy to the press. See the pic I attached.

I have always had luck with the problem you describe by doing this adjustment.

Good luck.