Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom safety

FLKenpoist

Just to pitch in...

My shadow does not allow safety with hammer down. If you look at the sear cage and how the safety locks it up, I'd say something is wrong if it allows the safety to roll all the way engaged with the hammer down. Hopefully it doesn't malfunction in a worse manner in the future...

So here are my questions:

Half of the shadows I've seen allow the safety to engage (without force) while the hammer is all the way forward. The other half will not allow this to happen.

I've heard from a source that it is just a difference due to sear cages.

Half of the marketing says the safety can engage due to customized parts, while the other half says 'no dice'.

I'm just confused... It seems like the hammers are all the same. Is it really a discrepancy with sear cages?

Not a knock on the design/gun, but just something that someone might want to be aware of before racing.

Edited by Less

It seems like the hammers are all the same

Different hammers have hooks cut to different depths, placing the sear in a different position when cocked. I have often had to re fit the safety after changing hammers. Take a look at this stock SP01 hammer vs the CZ factory race hammer:

ShadowHammer_2.jpgfathigh_1450.1.jpg

I had no idea that the hammers were so different. The change is more than what I expected I guess. Thanks for the pics.

So each safety has to be fit to the hammer that it's paired with? Or I guess if you have a standard and then switch to a race hammer the safety would need a little tune up?

As a total cz noob, thanks for the pics showing the difference in hammer profiles, makes it easy to learn a bit about these awesome pistols.

I had no idea that the hammers were so different. The change is more than what I expected I guess. Thanks for the pics.

So each safety has to be fit to the hammer that it's paired with? Or I guess if you have a standard and then switch to a race hammer the safety would need a little tune up?

As a total cz noob, thanks for the pics showing the difference in hammer profiles, makes it easy to learn a bit about these awesome pistols.

Cajun Gun Works makes an adjustable sear that makes for easy safety adjustment.

So each safety has to be fit to the hammer that it's paired with?

Yes, although in my experience CZ hammers tend to fit with CZ safeties without any modifications.

Or I guess if you have a standard and then switch to a race hammer the safety would need a little tune up?

Race hammers tend to tighten up the safety a bit, but usually still within the range of function. The most trimming I've done is when fitting a CZ hammer to a Tanfoglio.

I have two Shadows. One the safety works as I'd expect, the other will allow the safety to be engaged fully with the hammer down. I don't suppose I care much since they are for USPSA Production, where I don't use the safety.