Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom safety

FLKenpoist

I recently received my SP-01 Shadow Custom Black (Item Number: 91029) from CZCustom. I'm used to shooting pistols without safeties (SIG P series, Ruger SP-101, etc). I am wondering about the function of the safety.

If I cock the hammer with the safety already on (or subsequently engage the safety), the hammer will not budge when the trigger is pulled. So far as expected.

If the hammer is down and I engage the safety, I am then able to pull the trigger (Double Action), and the gun will fire. I tested this out at the range.

Is this normal for the Shadow?

I recently received my SP-01 Shadow Custom Black (Item Number: 91029) from CZCustom. I'm used to shooting pistols without safeties (SIG P series, Ruger SP-101, etc). I am wondering about the function of the safety.

USPSA Production rules call for a hammer-down start, so I disregard it.

Seriously, think of it as a mediocre thumb rest and drive on.

My safety doesn't fully engage when the hammer is down. Pretty sure that the gun isn't designed for this. Check out the height of the safety in DA you will see it isn't as high as safety engaged on SA.

Did you force the safety with the hammer down? Shadows are not designed to let the safety engage with hammer down. For that matter, how hard did you pull the the trigger with the hammer down and the safety engaged? You could have damaged some internal parts, but it sounds like something is already damaged if you were able to engage it with hammer down.

Edited by ftjandra

I just flipped the safety up,(didn't force it) with the hammer down, then pulled the trigger (didn't force that either).

Maybe the safety lever flips up, but does not fully engage, when the hammer is,down. I'll double check that in a little bit - need to get it back out of the safe.

Thanks for the tips

The safety will have some slight movement when the hammer is down, but it should not be able to be fully engaged. Once you fire it double action with the safety engaged will it continue to fire single action, or does the safety catch after that first shot?

CZ Czechmate has same hammer design as the CZ Competition hammer. All customs are fitted with the upgraded competition hammer design.

From the Czechmate owners manual .

"Engaging the Safety Mode

Engage the safety mode only when the hammer is to the rear, which means that it is cocked. Turn the safety upwards into the SAFE position so that the red dot is covered (Fig. 3). The trigger mechanism and the slide are now blocked so it is not possible to squeeze the trigger or move the slide.

Due to special adjustments of the trigger mechanism, the safety can be turned even if the hammer is engaged by the safety notch or leaning against the firing pin plate. In these cases it is FORBIDDEN to manipulate the hammer because violent pulling of the hammer can damage the trigger mechanism"

firstly it's never a bad idea to read the manual before trying stuff on a pistol you are not familiar with the basic workings of. secondly the safety should not engage with the hammer down (why would it? it's a double action pistol at that point). safety engages only once the hammer is cocked. trying to force it on with the hammer down is both a waste of time and could damage something. I have tried the safety on a shadow with comp hammer and it behaved like normal. maybe a tiny bit of play in the safety with hammer down. but I certainly didn't try and force it up.

I don't think the manual covers this. <edit:>it partially covers some of my question: "Since the trigger mechanism has been specifically adjusted, it is possible to move the safety onto the "SAFE" position even if the hammer is placed on the safety notch or leaned against the slide. In this case, however, it is not recommended to engage the safety because the trigger mechanism might be damaged when cocking the hammer by force. " <edit>

I can flip the safety lever up with the hammer either down or cocked, with the same amount of force (minimal). Nothing needs to be forced.

I can also cock the hammer with the safety flipped up, and it does not require any more force than it does to cock it with the safety down.

I haven't forced anything.

Basically, the gun ignores the position of the safety if I start with the hammer down. The only time the safety has any effect is if I engage it while the hammer is cocked. Then the trigger will not physically move.

I was just wondering if that was the normal behavior, since I've never owned a pistol with a manual safety before.

Edited by FLKenpoist

There are a few parts which effect the fit of the safety: sear, hammer and obviously the safety itself; because of stacking manufacturing tolerances your particular Shadow seems to have a loose safety engagement. As long as it does it's job while the hammer is cocked you have nothing to worry about. Besides, you don't use the safety in production anyway.

Edited by kneelingatlas

There are a few parts which effect the fit of the safety: sear, hammer and obviously the safety itself; because of stacking manufacturing tolerances your particular Shadow seems to have a loose safety engagement. As long as it does it's job while the hammer is cocked you have nothing to worry about. Besides, you don't use the safety in production anyway.

So far 50% of the shadows I've seen allow the safety to engage in DA mode.

Is the hammer ALL the way down or at "half cock"? Mine will not engage if the hammer is full forward, but at half cock, the safety will engage...not sure if half cock is the correct term with this gun, but I think you get the meaning.

Edited by falconpilot

The hammer position (down, half cocked, or fully cocked) has no effect on the safety switch. It moves up and down with equal force regardless.

It's is really like the safety has no effect on anything unless the hammer is fully cocked, then it works perfectly. Basically a DA/SA gun like a P series Sig that you can also carry in condition 1 (cocked and locked).