Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often and what are symptons of recoil spring needing change

SMS2

Depends on how light your run them. If you run super light springs they need replaced quicker that a heavier spring. On my open gun I can run a 7 pound but I need to change it like ever 1k. An 8 I have to change every 3 months or so. I can got 6 months to a year on a 9-10 pound

Depends on how light your run them. If you run super light springs they need replaced quicker that a heavier spring. On my open gun I can run a 7 pound but I need to change it like ever 1k. An 8 I have to change every 3 months or so. I can got 6 months to a year on a 9-10 pound

I'm using #10 and #11 ISMI recoil springs in my 9 major open guns using MG 124 JHP with 172 PF. The guns function/perform/feel perfect. I'm just curious as I see others refer to their 9 majors using recoil springs ranging between

#7 - #10 with similar PF. Despite they're running exceptionally well what would be likely to happen were I to drop the springs# by that much? Would they possibly shoot flatter, softer, etc.?

My assumption is they would loose their timing, have feed problems, etc., "if it's not broke don't fix it'. However if I'm missing an opportunity to improve performance I'd like to know.

Thoughts?

Once you figure out what spring weight you and your gun likes then it becomes simple to check the recoil spring with a spring gauge every month or so.

As an example, in my main gun I can run anything from about 7 - 9.5 lbs (as measured, not what the package is marked as) reliably. Personally, I like the feel of an 8 1/2 lb spring. Just seems seems to work the best with my slide, compensator, firing pin stop radius, mainspring, ammo, etc. If the spring falls below about 8 1/4 lbs. I start thinking about changing it, and definitely change it if it falls below 8.0 lbs.

I'm using #10 and #11 ISMI recoil springs in my 9 major open guns using MG 124 JHP with 172 PF. The guns function/perform/feel perfect. I'm just curious as I see others refer to their 9 majors using recoil springs ranging between

#7 - #10 with similar PF. Despite they're running exceptionally well what would be likely to happen were I to drop the springs# by that much? Would they possibly shoot flatter, softer, etc.?

My assumption is they would loose their timing, have feed problems, etc., "if it's not broke don't fix it'. However if I'm missing an opportunity to improve performance I'd like to know.

Thoughts?

my open 9 runs the flattest with a 7 but I have to clean the gun after every match for it to be 100% reliable. I can run an 8 for many matches without cleaning. If you don't mind cleaning your gun a lot you owe it to yourself to try light springs

Gentleman,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Despite being pleased with present performance I want to know if there is a better performance out there just waiting. I'm going to order some #7,#8,#9 recoil springs and do some experimenting. Perhaps I find that I am presently at peak performance or maybe a little tweaking might result in some slight improvement. Either way when finished there will be no unanswered questions.

Thanks again and will let you know.

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...