Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Glock 34 front sight height?

Red Ryder

I recently (yesterday) bought a Glock 34 from Dawson Precision and asked them to install a Warren sight set prior to shipping. I got a call back from Dawson Precision stating that the gun was shooting 6 inches high with this sight set and they would have to replace the front sight with a .260 tall front sight. They stated that the gun shot POA / POI with this new front sight. I picked up the gun and shot it at 25 feet and it shoots 2-3, possibly 4 inches low and slightly left. Needless to say, I am disappointed.

What is the best front sight height to use with a Warren rear on a Glock 34? Any suggestions? And how do I loosen up both sights for adjustment? (I am sure they used loct tite.)

I recently went through the process of deciphering what kind of sight combo works for the glock 34 myself. From what I saw (and what I went with), a .020" lower front sight gives a 25 yard zero. I think the warre rear is .265" so you would then want a .245" front like is normally recommended on cpwsa and dawson's website. I would double check with someone else before setting anything in stone.

If you use the dawson formula it gives .0336" change in sight height for 4" low or .0252" change in sight height for 3" low. This sorta gets you near a .245" front.

Please don't be offended by what I am saying.

Get an experienced pistol shooter to shoot your pistol, and verify your sights before you change anything.

Shooting low/left may be indicitave of a flaw in your shootin technique. It is very common amongst newer shooters to see this problem.

I am still amazed at the number of shooters in classes that have new pistols/sights installed that swear they have a problem but when shot by myself or another experienced shooter, thier sights are dead-on.

Just a suggestion. YMMV.

Good luck

The G34/35's aren't exactly built to such demanding specs that each and every one is the same. I recently started a thread in which my Glock 35 was shooting low with a Sevigny/Warren rear and the SUGGESTED .245" sight. A fellow responded that he had the exact opposite problem with his .215" front sight. We swapped front sights and are both happy.

I tell you this to say that each Glock is possibly a little off, within the allowable tolerances, and a front sight choice should be customized. There is no exact answer. However, if your G34 is, indeed, shooting a few inches low, then buy the .215" front sight and you should be good to go.

It worked for me!

I would like to retract my post. I sand bagged the gun today, from 25 to 60 feet, and fired 300 or so rounds of 124 Grain MG CMJs and some 135 Gr Bayou bullets and the sight was "on", as long as I did my part. No offense taken Deanq. Although I am not a "new shooter", It is a new gun that I am not used to shooting. I have well over 100 USPSA matches under my belt with ten of thousands of practice rounds along with that. Although those matches were shot with a G17 or an XDM 4.5 and my accuracy is second to very few (it just takes me twice as long as anyone else), I switched to a G34 and the sight picture is slightly different with these sights. I thought I could just do better with a G34. I should have known that there would be an adjustment period. I also had an "experienced shooter" of considerably larger size and strength shoot it. He did fine, 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 30 feet free style.

Edited by Red Ryder

Just for what it's worth I recently bought a Gen 4 G34 and installed the Dawson adjustable FO rear and the .300 front sight. On Dawson's site they say either the .285 or the .300 for the front. I wasn't sure which one to get so I asked my friend has the same setup and he said he had the .300 and it wasn't really tall enough. I got the .300 and with the rear all the way down it just hits the center of the paster at 7 yards. It was a little high at 25 yards and I found myself going over the top of small plates so I went to a .315 and that is just perfect, still with the rear all the way down. It hits a little low on the 7 yard paster, but is spot on further out. My friend who I asked in the first place did wind up noticing his was high at 25 yards and went to the .325 and has a little adjustment on the rear left.

So with you guys that are spot on with the .285, is that on a Gen 4? At what distance are you spot on?

Just for what it's worth I recently bought a Gen 4 G34 and installed the Dawson adjustable FO rear and the .300 front sight. On Dawson's site they say either the .285 or the .300 for the front. I wasn't sure which one to get so I asked my friend has the same setup and he said he had the .300 and it wasn't really tall enough. I got the .300 and with the rear all the way down it just hits the center of the paster at 7 yards. It was a little high at 25 yards and I found myself going over the top of small plates so I went to a .315 and that is just perfect, still with the rear all the way down. It hits a little low on the 7 yard paster, but is spot on further out. My friend who I asked in the first place did wind up noticing his was high at 25 yards and went to the .325 and has a little adjustment on the rear left.

So with you guys that are spot on with the .285, is that on a Gen 4? At what distance are you spot on?

My experience with a Gen 3 G34 is exactly the same as yours. I'd advise buying the .315" not the .285 or .300 that they recommend.