Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S+W 1911 Owners- Please Read!

nhglyn

I have a new S+W1911 that I just picked up. I fired a few and looked at the casings. There are dents in all of them. See photo here:

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3206/79...ted_Casings.jpg

The base of the brass on the opposite side of the dent has a small "flattened" area also.

Does your 1911 do this? I called S+W, emailed them the photo, and they said it had to do with the ejector and extractor. They were going to talk to the guys in their PC tomorrow morning.

I would like to know if this is "normal" before I call them. Should I ask for replacement of the weapon? Will taht cure the problem? Or do all 1911's have this issue to some extent? Can I safely reload these casings? Many thanks for any information you can give me before I call them in the morning.

I have come to the conclusion that the guy who designed the external extractor on S&W's 1911 works for their competition. They put it about .050" to .075 too high in the slide and virtually all of problems the gun has are related to this one design flaw.

What's completely bizarre is that S&W, prior to the advent of boy-blunder's redesign of the 1911, KNEW how to make a gun feed and extract. If they had simply used the 4506 extractor on the 1911, no one would have problems.

Idiots.

[/Amateur Night Gunsmith Mode OFF]

If you take a marks-alot black marker and color around the ejection port you should be able to tell where the spent casings are hitting after firing a few rounds. The casing will hit the area and wipe off the marker.

As for a cure? You have a warranty with S&W if it is unmodified. I don't know what they will do.

Good luck.

The problems were several:

1. The extractor was too tight causing the casing to rotate too quickly, thereby hitting the side of the ejection port and causing the dents.

2. There was a defect in the original barrel.

S+W gave me a new barrel, a new slide, and tuned the extractor properly and everything is right with the world.

S+W really does stand behind their product.