Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing correct sight heights for G34

polymerfeelsweirdman

Hello, so I have been pondering over what the best sight height combination for a G34 would be, or more generally, the height difference between front and rear sight. I have searched through probably 20 threads but I haven't found an answer that fits what I want to know.

I understand that the sight heights are a little subjective in that people use different sight pictures. I prefer a center mass hold or dead on hold over the "lollipop" or 6 oclock hold. I was thinking that a .010 sight height difference (lower front sight) would work for this to give an intermediate zero that should be good for 0-25 yds, am I on the money or is this not a big enough difference?

For clarification this is considering cheap 115 gr loads like remington umc or winchester white box and +p/+p+ 124 gr - 147 gr jhp's. This is probably a wide range of ammo's, so you can interpret my question as being what is the most versatile sight height combo/difference to give a usable zero from 0-25 yds. Thanks.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

I use the dawson adjustable as far down as it will go and have a .285 front, and i'v measured it and the front is about .10 lower then the rear. I still have to hold low on 10 yards and a lot lower at 25 it feels. I plan on getting a taller one at some point. I think much of it will probably depend on your specific pistol too.

Edit: If you get dawson definitely go larger then .285 so you have some wiggle room, because with it cranked all the way down it still shoots high and if you search you'll find that most people experience this at well. Start with .300 and raise the rear if necessary.

Edited by G17

I would suggest the Dawson adjustable rear with the 285 front. Everything else will be strictly guess work to get it like you want. With the dawson combo you can set your poi pretty much any way.

I had sort of considered just getting an adjustable rear but I am not a big fan of them after having nearly every single adjustable sight I own break or lose zero.

I would then call dawson and get his advice , if you need to change fronts, they will exchange for free until you are happy. Oddly enough, my adjustable rear and front 285 is perfect, with wiggle room to adjust lower or higher.

I have the .245 warren/sevigny on my 34 and it was shooting 2'' low @ 15-20' with the walmart federal 115gr. I was told once I reload a heavier bullet like a 124/147, the POI could go up. I haven't got to that yet because I'm trying to find some 147s to try.

I have had the Dawson Precision ..245" tall front sight paired with their Warren-Sevigny fixed rear sight (Part No. 528-021) on two different G34 pistols. I shoot 124 grain bullets in both factory ammo and handloads and for both pistols, my POI at 20 yards has been approximately 1" above POA.

I think I will go with a .230 front and .250 rear based on some more reading I did.

This is pretty close to what is recommended on Dawson's website (.225 and .250) for standard Glocks. Someone on this forum did a review of the HD competition rear sight with a .230 front and .250 rear and said it was POA at 25 yards on a Glock 34, so I am hoping it will work for me as well.

This sounds like it mirrors the Warren/Sevigny rear (I believe they are .265) with .245 front. This would be a .020 shorter front which is the same difference as what I am going with.

I was actually seriously considering the adjustable rear but I have just had such poor luck with them in the past. Maybe next time though.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman