Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

basic rimfire conversion

openclassterror

Please forgive me if this has been broached already. I want to duplicate the ergonomics of my centerfire upper. Who makes a reliable .22lr upper conversion that does not come with a handguard, front sight, etc. I don't want to waste a bunch of money on parts that will come off 5 minutes after I open the box. Basically a barrel, bolt, stripped upper if it is not standard, and mags. And obviously whatever buffer conversion it uses. I want to install the same quadrail and charging handle as I use, gas block not even necessary. Any thoughts? I have no objections building a complete upper myself if someone has a matched-parts setup that works.

Tom

Building a 'franken' upper is something that we are trying cater to. While we do sell complete uppers, we also sell the components. You'd be able to buy the parts you want from others as well. If you want to use the identical hand guard that you have now, do that.

Our bolt assembly will work with CMMG, Model one and spikes barrels.....or you might want one of ours.......your choice. Our barrels will work with CMMG, Model one and spikes bolt assemblies. We also sell parts that can enhance our competitors products. Pretty much all the parts from any of the manufacturers mentioned will work in mil spec uppers, billet uppers, work with most any charge handles and allow you to use just about any AR15 hand Guard.

If what we have on our menu isn't for you....we can probably point you to the right source. Feel free to call us up....we may be able to help.

And after the fact....I'm sure that we can help you fine tune your creation as well.

Tim

Thanks- I've been poking around your website since the first reply, I might give you a call tomorrow if I don't get too many drop-ins at the shop. :)

Looks like most of the kits available throughout the market are some variation of the ciener kits, but with a barrel shank adapter instead of a chamber liner. Black dog magazines seem to be the new standard. Are these pretty correct assessments?

Tom

Thanks- I've been poking around your website since the first reply, I might give you a call tomorrow if I don't get too many drop-ins at the shop. :)

Looks like most of the kits available throughout the market are some variation of the ciener kits, but with a barrel shank adapter instead of a chamber liner. Black dog magazines seem to be the new standard. Are these pretty correct assessments?

Tom

Yes....with a 'dedicated' 22rf barrel, a collar is used...which is basically a chamber adapter that is cut off and bored to fit over the the turned down breach end of the 22rf barrel. And yes, all are very close to the Ciener set up. Our's is a little different, not too much, some enhancements to improve function.

You'll hear all sorts of things about magazines.....but the Black Dog X-form seem to float to the top for anyone shooting Ruger Rimfire Competition. I personally use the ones with nylon feed lips over the steel ones. Haven't worn out the feed lips yet.

Tim

openclassterror you can't go wrong with doing business with Tim. He knows the .22 conversions inside out and helped me get mine running reliably even though it came from a different manufacturer. In hind sight I would have been way better off buying one from Taccom that was already dialed in.

The NC uppers are also very nice if you can find one

Update- I talked with Tim on the phone, very knowledgeable guy. Had everything I wanted in stock, and planning on shipping it out tomorrow or Friday. My confidence level was upped quite a bit ordering from someone who is actually familiar with the product he sells. I will update when I get the upper put together and try it out!

Tom