Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me out of buying a small base sizing die

SWThomas

So I'm getting my feet wet loading 308 for my AR-10. I posted a thread a week or so ago and a member mentioned using a small based sizing die. I'm currently using Dillon dies and have loaded 50 rounds with them. All rounds fired perfectly in my AR-10. But the comment about the die got me worried that I may be doing something wrong. What would be the benefit of switching to a small based sizing die, and what problems could arise if I don't?

Do any of you guys use regular dies to size 308 for an AR-10, and if so, have you experienced any problems?

from what I understand, Dillon rifle dies are small based. I use Dillon dies for my AR15s, AR10s, and bolt guns. if the ammo fits in your gun and goes bang, its normally all good!

jj

Yes and no not as small as others. I had to use a Redding Small base die to get my loads to work in my new Krieger precision ar build. With all the other AR's I have my Dillon sizing dies are fine.

pat

From a concentricity standpoint, which sizing dies do you guys think are the best? Will the Dillon sizer consistently produce concentric resized brass?

I’ve loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds of .223 with the Dillon size die, no issues. I’ve tried the RCBS SB and the Lee’s. The Dillon works the best IMO with a 650/1050 progressive. Concentricity isn’t even an issue when loading for a hungry AR.

I neck size only for my bolt gun precision loads using a LEE COLLET neck sizer. I start with NEW Lapua match brass form fire and neck size only for 4-5 firings, anneal then Full length size with a RCBS Gold Medal Match Series Bushing Full Length Sizer Die. Then start the process all over again. Lapua brass is the best investment you can get for a bolt gun. I can get a whole lot of firings from one case.

From a concentricity standpoint, which sizing dies do you guys think are the best? Will the Dillon sizer consistently produce concentric resized brass?

I’ve loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds of .223 with the Dillon size die, no issues. I’ve tried the RCBS SB and the Lee’s. The Dillon works the best IMO with a 650/1050 progressive. Concentricity isn’t even an issue when loading for a hungry AR.

I neck size only for my bolt gun precision loads using a LEE COLLET neck sizer. I start with NEW Lapua match brass form fire and neck size only for 4-5 firings, anneal then Full length size with a RCBS Gold Medal Match Series Bushing Full Length Sizer Die. Then start the process all over again. Lapua brass is the best investment you can get for a bolt gun. I can get a whole lot of firings from one case.

I won't be too worried about concentricity when loading 223 for my AR-15. But my GAP-10 is a different story. It is a precision AR-15 rifle capable of outstanding accuracy. I am definitely worried about concentricity when loading rounds to feed that rifle.

I'll find out soon enough when I run some Dillon die sized brass through my concentricity tool. That'll tell the tale.

• 2 weeks later...