Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for the M1A

GTOGuy06

I just got myself a new SA M1A standard. I don't plan on this gun being a bullseye shooter at 1000 yards but I do want to be able to reload for it and make good, reliable ammunition. So what equipment do I NEED? I have reloaded for handguns for a few years now and I have a fairly good understanding of how reloading works in rifle cartridges. But I do not know what I need to be able to reload for this gun. Collet dies? standard dies? crimp? small base die? I just don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you buy surplus brass, it was probably fired in a light machine gun, and they almost always have very loose headspace. When using such brass, I frequently have chambering problems except when I use a small base sizing die. For other 7.62x51 or .308 cases, ordinary full length dies have been enough. Neck size dies (Lee collet sizing dies are neck size dies) are not good enough, and with them in a M1A you risk slam fires. A slam fire, with the bolt only partially closed, might push the bolt through the rear of the receiver into your skull.

Unlike pistol brass, you are going to need a trimmer of some sort, because most rifle brass grows after each sizing. Your choices are file-type dies, mini-lathes, and others. Several companies make something similar to a sizing die that allows case excess length to protrude from their hardened top, and you take a file to what protrudes. The mini-lathes are just that. If you are prone to carpal tunnel, get one that either is motorized, or can be motorized with a spud. Even the cheap Chinese electronic vernier calipers are good enough for measuring case length. I would tell you that I have always found case trimming to be the most tedious of reloading chores, so I tend to trim a little shorter than minimum spec after the first sizing, so I don't have to do it again as soon. If you find trimming as tedious as I do, you will probably eventually eventually buy a Giraud trimmer.

Lots of different gauges are made for 7.62x51 cases and cartridges. Some gauge several things at the same time. They are good to have, but it is also important to make sure the cases you produce chamber freely, or you risk slam fires.

I like to use a hand primer, not the priming mechanism on my reloading press. I get much better depth control. Make sure all primers are at least slightly below flush, to prevent slam fires.

Ordinary seating dies are fine for the M1A. Lee likes people to crimp bullets when using their dies. Sierra gets apoplectic at the thought of someone crimping one of their bullets. I bought my M1A in 1978, and never found crimping necessary for it.

You need a reloading manual, scale, and powder measure also.

• 2 weeks later...

Do some basic research on reloading first. M14 specific; keep powder close to 4895 or 4064 burn rates. Full length and trim brass each time, seat to magazine length and don't load bullets above 180g. Keep velocity moderate. And basic research will tell you 40-42g 4895 with a 168 is as standard of a load as there is for m14.