Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding BR30 on a 1050?

I was thinking of adding a Redding powder measure to my 1050 when I change it over to 223. What additional equipment do I need, if any? Would this be worth it to use a powder like Varget and get a bit more accuracy, or for 300 yd work and under is it likely not to make a difference?

I recently tried a RCBS Competition measure on my 1050 with a Varget-like stick powder. The variation was pretty large (worse than +/- 0.15 grains, from memory), so I didn't pursue it further. I've never used a Dillon measure, so I don't know how the RCBS compares. For the test I made-up a set of cases with used primers (ultrasonic cleaned) inserted inverted, so no powder could get trapped in the primer pocket,and weighed on milligram lab balance (A&D Fx120i).

You will need a powder measure adapter and an RL450 powder die to install the Redding powder measure on the 1050. I would expect our measure to meter most charges within +/-.1 grains, with some going to +/- .2 grains.

Out to 300 yards it won't make a difference. Probably won't make a difference out to 600 yards. Case volume varies more than the powder charge typically does.

Like Dillon said.. it probably doesn't matter

I did try Varget and compared against H335, AA2230.. H335 and 2230 both had lower SDs for me, accuracy difference un-distinguishable .. and that was weighing out each charge on a dispenser.. coupled with cost, availability and flowing through the Dillon meter.. I gave away the Varget

You can do your own exterior ballistics calculations, you know. How +/- 0.2gn can be a big deal for say 25 gn or Varget? I think that is a 0.8% variation. Isn't the charge weight variation for Military match ammo greater than that?

I was thinking of adding a Redding powder measure to my 1050 when I change it over to 223. What additional equipment do I need, if any? Would this be worth it to use a powder like Varget and get a bit more accuracy, or for 300 yd work and under is it likely not to make a difference?

I installed the BR-30 on my 1050. You do need to turn the drum around and drill & tap new holes for the case activation linkage. I loaded over 5000 rounds for our Jr. team without any problems.

CIMG0674.JPG

Edited by wsl

Hmm, nice setup wsl! I guess the smart thing to do would be to load ammo with the Dillon measure first, and then make up some with thrown charges on the BR30 and see if it makes any difference. It's always tempting to want to increase your precision but not if the end result doesn't matter. And I don't shoot past 300yd at present.