Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy loads

buckaroo45

When working up a load for accuracy is it acceptable to rest the butt of the gun on the shooting bench with no padding? Would a folded towel be better? Resting the barrel on a rest seems to be inadvisable tho maybe viable. Maybe resting the trigger guard on something? My hand issues make it problematic to repeat a sight picture without some sort of support especially with my double action only revolvers. Any suggestions?

Ron

I made a couple of sand bags using an old tire tube and play sand. I just folded the ends over and duct taped them. I stack the bags on an old towel and use the bags to cradle the gun barrel. The towel can be rolled up under the grip portion so the gun kind of floats.

Edited by toothguy

I'm assuming you are asking about handguns only. For me, I find that resting my wrists across a reasonably firm and stable rest while keeping my elbows anchored to a comfortable surface provides me with more consistent groups as well as allowing me to shoot to the same point of aim as I do when shooting offhand.