Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front sight and target

amateur

I can track my front sight now. See it bounced and goes back to original point of aim. Now I pay too much attention to it and the target is blurred especially when shooting multiple targets. Is this how it should be? or is it the other way around (target clear and the frontsight blurred).

Thanks

Unless you are using a type 2 focus, for example...

Just see what you need to see in order to hit the A zone, no more, no less. Don't over aim.

Let me expand a bit more (and you guys who have read PS:BF, correct me if I'm wrong).

Picture this: you aquire a target at 2 or 3 yards and you focus in a specific spot on that target, the center of the A zone for example, your gun hovers to that spot. Do you find it REALLY necessary to change the focus to your sights and have them in perfect alignment in order to hit the A zone (anywhere on the A zone, not the exact spot you focused earlier) or you can do it while maintaining that target focus and keep the sights in a slight blurry focus to call the shot?

For me, I find that I can call my shots accurately enough for this distance using my peripheral vision while maintaining my visual focus on the target (I say the sights are in my peripheral vision because although they are right in front of my line of sight, they don't have my main visual attention; my main visual attention is at the target).

If I understand correctly, Brian calls this a Type 2 focus.

Type 1 is where you don't even use the sights for confirmation, you use as a reference the slide, or the top of the scope. This is usually on contact targets.

Type 3 is when your focus is between the target and your sights.

Type 4 is focusing on the sights until they lift.

Type 5 is what you currently do, keep the sights in razor sharp focus through the entire recoil arc.

The type of focus you should use is dictated by several factors, such as how difficult the shot is, your current skill level, distance to target, etc.

EDIT: Look here, among other posts.

For me, I find that I can call my shots accurately enough for this distance using my peripheral vision while maintaining my visual focus on the target (I say the sights are in my peripheral vision because although they are right in front of my line of sight, they don't have my main visual attention; my main visual attention is at the target).

If I understand correctly, Brian calls this a Type 2 focus.

Yes, and Plaxco calls it "indirect sighting". I call it target focus because that term is inherently obvious in its meaning.

amateur,

It might be important to point out that your visual focus will need to be going back and forth...you often need to snap your vision to find the next target, then bring the vision back to the front sight as the gun comes on target.

Repeat for next target...

BE, Flexmoney, bounty hunter, pierruiggi, eye cutter and to everybody who can help me,

When is the good timing to shift your vision to the next target especially on steel plates. Is it when you start to see the sight lift or when it is coming back from the top. I want to learn fast so I am practicing a lot. NOW THIS PROBLEM. Everything now looks slow while I am shooting plates (falling, the sound of hit and my new experience which is the lifting and returning of the frontsight in SLOW MOTION- is this really happening? or i am imagining things) I practice with plates yesterday and thats what I notice. It feels like I want to move my vision but since the whole act of aiming shooting and whatever is slow, my brain and body says wait, slow down and then suddenly the confirmation of hit comes. My analysis is I wasted time. I dont know if im right or wrong.

By the way the power factor I am using is 174 with a 12.5lb spring - .40cal; so i think its not the slide moving slow (with that PF).

Thanks

First of all, when using a focus that concentrates on the front sight, the moment I choose to aquire a new target is when the front sight begins to lift immediately after the shot fired. When that happens the shot is already confirmed. Its not necesary to wait to hear the sound of the bullet hitting the plate, or popper or whatever.

Second, its not really that what you say IS happening in slow motion, you perceive it that way for several factors; among them your experience, your mind focused on seeing, your level of stress, etc.

Also in this state of mind where everything seems slow you can't readily judge if you are wasting time or "being too slow", the most impartial judge for this is a timer.

Good luck, it certainly looks like you are progressing fast!

All of the above is true... I believe...but what if your eyesight deteriorates and one needs glasses and still one wants to be competitive?

Fighting Aging...Eyes...maybe a little off topic...but my eyes deteriorate rapidly..so I need a quick solution B)