Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Critique: Rifle Box-to-Box movement / SC Outer Limits

jkrispies

So... I tried to get in some range practice today and of course forgot my timer! Since my wife wasn't running the clock, I had her video me from two different angles shooting Outer Limits. I'd like folks to critique me in terms of my movement from box to box, or whatever. (And, yes, I already spotted the foot fault!!!)

As some background, State Championships for SC are in a few weeks so I'm practicing for that with my rimfire rifle, but I'm also viewing this as a skills-builder for rifle as I transition into 3 gun. So, yes, if you want to give me Outer Limites/Steel Challenge specific advice that would be great, but I'd really appreciate advice from a 3-gunner's viewpoint.

I'm posting this with an open mind, so anything that anybody sees is fair game.

Thanks,

J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRYAJ_AyhQE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJMs5DxDwk

Thanks, Patrick-- I appreciate your time and advice! I've noticed the same thing too on the first shot from the second box and (so far-- we'll see what others spot) I think that's my biggest weakness. At least that's how it "feels" in practice. Maybe will try having the gun more in firing position as I enter the box...

I don't know the rules to this type style of competition, but do you have to dismount the gun when moving between boxes?

As Mr Kelly, mentioned, second box setup is eating up some of your time.

And it looks like it is because you are reacquiring your mount and sight alignment.

For two or three steps, I would personally keep the gun on my shoulder and be aiming at the next target as I enter the box.

I don't know the rules to this type style of competition, but do you have to dismount the gun when moving between boxes?

Nope, no rule on mounting vs dismounting.

My theory on exiting the first box thus far (which I may gladly be proven wrong on) is based on my watching another shooter who is far better than I at shooting Outer Limits. When leaving the first box, he visibly thrust the gun forward, which I interpreted as him using the equipment to get his momentum moving in the correct direction. When I tried it myself, I found that it helped a lot. (My wife says that I have too much "momentum" to get moving and need to lose some of it, ha!) This also harkens back to something I remember from my days as a sprinter-- using the hands to burst out of the blocks. If others think my "thrusting momentum theory" is bunk, please chime in!

Having said that, from the second angle I see that I could get the gun back into my shoulder quicker as I enter the second firing position. From what you and Pat pointed out, I've gone back and it looks to me like my fastest run was the last one in Angle #2-- and it was also the one where I pretty much had the gun in firing position as I entered the box.

Eureka moment?

I took an advances competition pistol class with Phil Strader once. He is one of the best there shooting and moving and coming in ready to shoot with a pistol. We ran this steel challenge stage a bunch in his class. Here is what I learned watching Phil. You gotta be ready to break the shot the instant your front foot his the ground in the next position. You are getting both feet in bringing the gun up and then watching the sights settle. Phil taught us to be ready to shoot once we hit the box. Meaning we kept our body low coming in with our legs loaded up with our weight to act as shock absorbers to keep the sights from moving as we brought the second foot into the box. Don't come out of that crouched position unless you're going to be there shooting for long enough to get fatigued. These few shots should not get your legs fatigued. If they do its time to hit the gym. You can work on breathing too so that you are exhaling as you are stepping in. Of the sights are on target ready to go before you hit the box, prep the trigger and get ready to squeeze through the trigger wall too. You might break the drill down into parts. Leaving box 1, entering box 2, moving from box-to-box. You can work on getting into an aggressive stance in the first box as well loading up the weight on your outside foot ready to push off once you break your last shot in box 1.

Hope that makes sense.

Good luck,

Jesse

And it looks like it is because you are reacquiring your mount and sight alignment.

For two or three steps, I would personally keep the gun on my shoulder and be aiming at the next target as I enter the box.

That would be my only suggestion.

be

Here's what I have so far (all correct!) based on the above comments, plus some from PM:

• Exit the first box with
    • Outside foot loaded to push off,
    • Feet a little closer to assist with the step out,
    • Inside foot stepping out first so that I'm not "crossing over myself" while leaving the box
  • Transitioning between
    • Shorter steps to keep it smooth,
    • Keep the gun in (or nearer) the shoulder pocket initially, and
    • Have the gun completely in firing position and on target as I...
  • Enter the second box with
    • The first target in my sights even before trailing foot is on the ground,
    • Loading up the lead foot with my weight, and
    • Using my legs as a shock absorber to steady myself as I break the first shot

Sounds like a lot when written out, but it's totally do-abe, not overly complicated, and makes perfect sense.

Anything else?

That would be my only suggestion.

be

Okay, playing with it some in my garage, and I'm seeing that you guys are right-- if I'm going to have the rifle in position to fire immediately upon entering the box, there really isn't time to dismount it at all. Thanks again for the input!

One week's practice with a change in footwork, then back to the range for another practice.

No timer again, but using a stopwatch at home, it looks like about a 1/10th faster overall than the last set of videos-- and I'm seeing that if I speed it up between boxes, I can shave another 1/10th or so off at least. I'm mainly concentrating on getting the first shot off quicker upon entering the second box, which still needs A LOT of work but is improving... in 1/3 of them, maybe? Okay, 1/4th. Jeez...

Angle one (fyi, I thought I had a miss on the second run, but upon listening to the video it was a hit... and also my fastest run at about 4.5ish.)

Angle two

As always, input is appreciated!

Edited by jkrispies