Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match With a CZ

Smitty79

I have been trying action shooting since last June. Several 3 gun and steel matches. Last month I did a USPSA with the G34 I've been using in the other matches.

Today I shot a USPSA match using a tweaked CZ85 (Matt Mink does nice work). I decided to shoot Limited minor so I could spend more time shooting and less time reloading and stage planning. Aside from losing track of plates on a plate rack with no shoots behind it (Once the buzzer sounded, I didn't see them), the shooting was great.

I did have some problems with magazines. I have 2 stock CZ 16 round magazines with CZC +5 base pads and 10 spring/followers. I can load these to 23 rounds, but they were very difficult to get to seat. Will that get better with use? This problem happened on the first stage and I just switched to Mec-Gar 17+2's. They ran great. If I got some CZ stock 18 round mags to go with the CZC base pads and springs, could I get to 25 rounds and still make the 140 mm limit? As the tube is longer on these, I would expect less problem seating too.

BTW, the Glock is in the bottom of the safe and isn't coming out soon.

Just because it will hold 23 rounds doesn't mean you have to fill them to 23. If they seat hard, just load one magazine to 23 so when they say "load and make ready" you can take your time to get it seated. Then only have your other magazines loaded to 20 to 22 rounds, so your mag changes are easier.

• 3 weeks later...

I user go have the same issue with my Glock 140mm mags. I felt okay with starting at 23 but would never want to try to top off using a mag that full. Frankly I have had the same experience with some of my AR mags tryst to load 30 rounds when not locked empty.