Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting your grip - clamp down sequentialy or together?

Frank Einstein

When I draw from the holster, I notice that I as I move through the draw, if I clamp down hard with the dominant hand, and THEN apply the non-dominant hand and clamp down, my grip is different then if I wait to really bear down strength-wise with both hands until both hands are in place. It seems I get a better grip if I do the former rather than the latter.

I remember reading Vogel somewhere mentioned a "hitch" in his draw that corresponds to the point where he really clamps down both hands together. How does everyone approach this?

While I'm certainly no GM I have developed a fairly consistent 1.0-1.1 sec draw at close targets and I can tell you that I only do things once in the draw sequence. When I grab the gun with my strong hand it is with my final grip strength so that I don't have to do anything else. When my weak hand joins the party I just apply the appropriate pressure and I'm good to go. I think that anything that adds steps to the process will relatively slow down your ability to execute a high speed draw. Initially grabbing the gun with one grip strength and then changing it during the draw seems to me to add unnecessary steps.

As an example, last month while recovering from a weak hand wrist issue all I could do was SHO dry fire. I very quickly got to a .9sec draw but could not get any lower no matter what I did. My draw included a half step forward as well. I decided to eliminate the half step and have literally no movement except for my SH. As soon as I did that I quickly dropped to .8 and about a 70% success rate at .7secs. I contribute that to eliminating extra "stuff" in my draw process .... YMMV ....

I didn't try to think that one through. But what I did though, got the pistol out of the holster with a light to medium grip, then clamped down with equal pressure with both hands as my non-dominant hand joined the grip.

be

Thanks to all for their comments. I am amazed at how "fat" the fingers of my dominant hand feel when I clamp them down together after applying the non-dominant hand. I will have to try both some more and see what works best for me.

The intricacies that exist in this sport of ours make it so much more fun, and perfect for the lifelong student...

I didn't try to think that one through. But what I did though, got the pistol out of the holster with a light to medium grip, then clamped down with equal pressure with both hands as my non-dominant hand joined the grip.

be

It seems I'm faster (smoother) if I use a soft touch on the initial grab, it seems to allow for more dexterity to slide into correct position.

After paying attention to this briefly in dry fire this morning, I still think I do it sequentially, in the sense that my strong hand gets master grip and after that the support hand joins. So the grip pressure changes when I add the support hand grip, but that change is coming from the support hand, not an intentional change in how I grip with the strong hand at that point.

• 1 year later...

I am struggling with this. I am finding that even my amount of weak palm contact with the grip panel seems to be variable based on sequential versus initial light dominant hand grip followed by clamping down together.

I'm struggling with this too. I know I don't clamp hard enough with the support hand. I've been playing with getting my grip and then trying to pull my pinkies into one another. Almost like I'm trying to pull the grips off. Feels a little weird but very stable.

Edited by jbarnett50