Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hitch in my 66

FWSixgunner

My action job on my 66-6 went well, but I felt a little roughness at the start, pointing to trigger/CS engagement.

So I went back in last night and re-cut a bevel on the CS ledge and the lump on the front of the trigger (very carefully) and polished both to 2500 grit wet-or-dry. On a flat surface, this stuff leaves a finish you could shave with.

While inside I removed the bolt & took 3 coils off the spring. I couldn't resist additional polishing on the DA hammer sear, so I slipped a card scraper loaded with more 2500 grit between hammer and sear and worked it a little more. The sear should really be removed so as to follow the contour, but getting it back in with that flimsy spring in place is a pain. So I was lazy.

The pull is good, but with an audible click about 1/3 through where there shouldn't be one. I can detect little, if any, change in the pull. It feels like it may be a hair heavier past that point.

My first thoughts were the trigger/CS engagement. But in my experience,,the pull gets lighter, not heavier, when the trigger breaks the CS ledge when that's rough. Plus the CS is still down past that point. It was eliminated completely when I cocked the hammer SA. No click.

To me, that points to the DA sear, possibly I cut a slight ledge trying to polish it.

Thoughts?

To me, that points to the DA sear, possibly I cut a slight ledge trying to polish it.

When you polished the point on the sear you likely changed the angle slightly. What you are experiencing is called a sear click. Before you try to fit a new sear, change the angle of the sear so that it ends in a slightly steeper point. You will want to remove material from the rear corner of the sear looking at the gun from the side. You don't want to remove too much our you will cause the action to stub when it transitions off the sear. The fix for a stub is a new sear so its not a big deal.