Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel questions

DDustin

Part of JP's success comes from the way they set up complete uppers and rifles. The Kreigers and Criterions and other big-name barrels are often as accurate.

I have a Kreiger heavy barrel precision AR and its nice but my light weight contour 18 inch JP shoots almost as good I mean with in .05 of an inch. Criterion's barrels are good from reports here but their accuracy is around 1 moa while excellent for a chrome barrel its not quite in the same league accuracy wise as a JP barrel. JP has won me over their barrels are great.

Pat

I was talking to the person that does ,my barrel work and he said in his experience stainless barrels like the JP will only give me 4000-5000 rounds before they lose most of their accuracy. He recommended the Daniel Defense barrel and said that they can get equal accuracy to the JP and last much longer. But on the JP site they say that their cryo treatment allows much longer life than traditional barrels. I don't mind losing some longevity to accuracy but for $500 I need something that'll last more than a year or 2. He also recommended Criterion for equal accuracy and longer life. How long will the JP barrel maintain sub-MOA accuracy? How does it compare specifically to the DD and Criterion as far as accuracy goes? I can find tons of people saying they love their JP barrels but honestly no pictures or reports of group testing.

ETA: I spoke to JP and they claim that their 3gun team barrels still maintain sub-moa after 30,000 plus rounds because of their cryo process. That seems pretty contrary to everything I've heard about SS barrels. But I trust JP given their reputation so can anyone comment on that?

Edited by DDustin

I was talking to the person that does ,my barrel work and he said in his experience stainless barrels like the JP will only give me 4000-5000 rounds before they lose most of their accuracy. He recommended the Daniel Defense barrel and said that they can get equal accuracy to the JP and last much longer. But on the JP site they say that their cryo treatment allows much longer life than traditional barrels. I don't mind losing some longevity to accuracy but for $500 I need something that'll last more than a year or 2. He also recommended Criterion for equal accuracy and longer life. How long will the JP barrel maintain sub-MOA accuracy? How does it compare specifically to the DD and Criterion as far as accuracy goes? I can find tons of people saying they love their JP barrels but honestly no pictures or reports of group testing.

ETA: I spoke to JP and they claim that their 3gun team barrels still maintain sub-moa after 30,000 plus rounds because of their cryo process. That seems pretty contrary to everything I've heard about SS barrels. But I trust JP given their reputation so can anyone comment on that?

JP barrels are known to last a long time while maintaining accuracy. The guy who does your barrel work does not know what he is talking about and probably just wants to sell you another barrel.

Sierrabullet77_zpsc5cc7bb6.jpg

LapuaandNosler_zps297d2c69.jpg

BestgroupinJPsofar_zpsaebbc9a6.jpg

My JP compared to my Noveske Rogue hunter. The JP averages right around 3/4 moa with my match load with my 55 grain ball load it averages right around 1 1/4 moa. My Noveske averages 1 1/4 moa with my match load and 2..5 with my ball load. My JP shoots about the same as my Krieger heavy barrel match gun. This accuracy is holding all the way to 400 yards. I shot two groups on steel a few weeks back at 400 yards that measured 2.5 and 2.9 inches respectively. Again JP has great barrels.

I had a Daniel Defense upper a few years back. Not bad but it was a 1.5 moa gun with match ammo. Which is typical for chrome lined guns.

I no longer have the photos of those groups as I got rid of the files when I sold that rifle.

This thread has some groups fired from a Crieterion barrel on the last page.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184035&hl=%2Bcriterion#entry2038061

I do plan on picking up a Crieterion barrel in about a month or so for another build.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

JP barrels are known to last a long time while maintaining accuracy. The guy who does your barrel work does not know what he is talking about and probably just wants to sell you another barrel.

Sierrabullet77_zpsc5cc7bb6.jpg

LapuaandNosler_zps297d2c69.jpg

BestgroupinJPsofar_zpsaebbc9a6.jpg

My JP compared to my Noveske Rogue hunter. The JP averages right around 3/4 moa with my match load with my 55 grain ball load it averages right around 1 1/4 moa. My Noveske averages 1 1/4 moa with my match load and 2..5 with my ball load. My JP shoots about the same as my Krieger heavy barrel match gun. This accuracy is holding all the way to 400 yards. I shot two groups on steel a few weeks back at 400 yards that measured 2.5 and 2.9 inches respectively. Again JP has great barrels.

I had a Daniel Defense upper a few years back. Not bad but it was a 1.5 moa gun with match ammo. Which is typical for chrome lined guns.

I no longer have the photos of those groups as I got rid of the files when I sold that rifle.

This thread has some groups fired from a Crieterion barrel on the last page.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184035&hl=%2Bcriterion#entry2038061

I do plan on picking up a Crieterion barrel in about a month or so for another build.

Pat

Thanks for those. I have read a few of your posts about your rifles and they've been pretty helpful. Are those targets of just the JP or of the JP and Noveske?

I did just notice on the specs on JPs site that the 14.5in is listed as being chrome moly steel not stainless. The 16" on the other hand is 416 stainless. Either way the barrel will be cut to 14" by either JP or my smith, with the mid length gas system so length aside would there be any difference in accuracy or weight between the steel JP and the SS JP? I've never owned a SS barrel so all I know is what I've read and that's been conflicting.

Here are the specs from JP's site.

Chamber: .223

Length: 14.5"

Gas system: Mid-length

Twist: 1:8 button rifled

Contour: .650 under hand guard/.741 in front of gas block

Diameter at gas block: .750

Muzzle threads: 1/2"-28 TPI

Material: 4140 chrome moly steel

Weight: 25.5 oz.

Finish: Mag-phosphate

--------------------------------------------------------------

Chamber: .223

Length: 16"

Gas system: Mid-length

Twist: 1:8 button rifled

Contour: .650 under hand guard/.740 in front of gas block

Diameter at gas block: .750

Muzzle threads: 1/2"-28 TPI

Material: 416 stainless

Weight: 28.5 oz.

Is this barrel for a comp gun? If so why would you want a 14.5"?

It's just what I prefer. It handles better, looks better and I seem to get the same accuracy out to 300-400. Also since the ACR is piston operated it's easiest to stick with the mid-length gas system and rifle length won't effect the recoil the same as with DI.

Those were just for the JP.

I can post pics from the Noveske if you want.

Pat

No thanks, the groups you mentioned were enough. I'm going to go with the JP but I'm trying to figure out the difference between the steel JP and the Stainless JP. I'm assuming they both are held to the same accuracy standard but if the difference is between 1 MOA and .5 MOA or even .75 MOA, that's enough of a difference to sway me.

I would prefer that the diameter behind the gas block is around .800 instead of the JPs .650 to allow for the piston guide block, but the JP seems to have the best reputation for accuracy that I can find.

ETA. thanks for posting that. I was considering Noveske until I saw how much it opens up with cheaper ammo such as American Eagle and PMC. JP seems to have minimal accuracy fluctuations between match and surplus ammo.

Edited by DDustin

I was nervous about JP light countor at first but after a lot of people telling it would be find I took the plunge and I am glad i did. Its super light and accurate. Are you sure the shorter barrel is not stainless it could be a miss print. Call JP up and ask.

Pat

I called but I missed them by 8min so I sent an email and asked if it was a misprint. The whole time I was on the phone with them I kept asking about the 14.5in SS barrel and they never corrected me so who knows.

I called but I missed them by 8min so I sent an email and asked if it was a misprint. The whole time I was on the phone with them I kept asking about the 14.5in SS barrel and they never corrected me so who knows.

So you missed them but asked them questions anyway? Did they answer? Is this still going into an ACR? You might just consider going on JP's gun builder and specing out a nice DI gun and put this whole thread behind you. Putting a new barrel on an ACR and you will still have an ACR.

So you missed them but asked them questions anyway? Did they answer? Is this still going into an ACR? You might just consider going on JP's gun builder and specing out a nice DI gun and put this whole thread behind you. Putting a new barrel on an ACR and you will still have an ACR.

No a few posts before that I mentioned that I had called them earlier. I missed them when I called back regarding the 14in being steel. Yes it's going into an ACR. I have several nice DI guns, I prefer the ACR for numerous reasons discussed in other threads.

JP uses Wilson blanks for their barrels. If you were't interested in buying JP's barrel because it comes with an enhanced bolt you could always go with someone else that uses Wilson blanks as well.

I asked them about that, they said since I can't use the bolt they will subtract it from the price. I also asked what they do different once they get the Wilson blanks and he said they cryo-treat them and finish them inside and out for more durability and accuracy. They made it seem like the cryo-treatment makes all the difference in their barrels ability to maintain sub-MOA for 20-30,000 rounds. Is this not accurate?

Also I'm still wondering how big of a difference would there be in accuracy between the stainless steel and chrome moly steel.

I asked them about that, they said since I can't use the bolt they will subtract it from the price. I also asked what they do different once they get the Wilson blanks and he said they cryo-treat them and finish them inside and out for more durability and accuracy. They made it seem like the cryo-treatment makes all the difference in their barrels ability to maintain sub-MOA for 20-30,000 rounds. Is this not accurate?

Also I'm still wondering how big of a difference would there be in accuracy between the stainless steel and chrome moly steel.

Cryo treating parts has been around forever but I have no first hand knowledge how it applies to barrels. I haven't heard or read anywhere that it's "snake oil" but if it's really the cat's meow I'd be interested why others aren't following suit. Cost maybe? Regardless I doubt JP is trying to pull a fast one..