Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vision vs. Visual Patience ?

Flexmoney

I like to think of Vision as continuous. Our sensors are "turned on".

Our attention...our focus...can be finite and diverted.

For example, right now, you can stop and listen to your environment. With "hearing more" as your focus, you will notice things that you weren't noticing a minute ago. The same with feeling...like the keyboard I am typing on or how cold/warm I feel (external) or the tension I feel in back, neck, shoulders and facial muscles (internal).

Many things split and divert our attention.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if you can't make the call based on what you saw, when you check the hit on the target, you will have learned. Without any effort.

Absolutely. Improvement will happen almost as a byproduct if you are paying attention.

You need to create a condition that requires the body to adapt to improve - but moreso, you need to create an environment friendly to adaptation by paying attention.

I just re-read the first two pages of this thread. GREAT stuff. Especially Pat' post #15, which includes:

Everyone assumes that visual patience means to slow down, it doesn't.

That is a BIG statement and a huge observation. I think that people mistake Patience with slowing down...a physical thing.

Instead, patience...in our world...might be better thought of as a mental thing. If we teach a child something that is brand new to them (math?) we do so with patience. It's not a timed based patience, it's an attitude...a mental understanding.

Visual Patience while shooting can be seen in the same manner...as a mental attitude...a mindset...a mental discipline.

It's the mental discipline to see what we need to see...to KNOW.

And...Brian, in post #21:

Visual patience refers to a very specific realm within the entire range of what you see while shooting. Visual patience means seeing, or maybe better - allowing yourself to see continuously, right through the “end of a shot” and on to the beginning of the next. It means visually “finishing the shot.” Although no shot really begins or ends.

There is no end or beginning when you see everything.

For those that struggle with this idea I'd like to present an interesting idea to you. What if a shooter is struggling so much with their shooting, but a little camera was installed in their head and then the same camera was installed in TGO's head - what if the difference in what they saw couldn't be perceived it was so small?? Cause I suspect that's an exageration, but not a huge one.

Forgetting some differences in shutter speed and speed to change focus....

I would suspect that everyone's camera is giving them more than enough information. How they process and focus that information is key.

I use a Star Trek analogy every once in a while...

Imagine you are the Captain of the Enterprise. You are on the bridge...in command. All the lights, display screens, blips, beeps and bridge personal are there with fantastic amounts of information. You are getting all the feedback you could possibly need. Your job is to decide what is important. What will you focus on? What will you have your staff focus on? How will you direct your resources? Where is your attention at any given moment?

Absolutely. Improvement will happen almost as a byproduct if you are paying attention.

Effortless improvement results from paying attention.

You need to create a condition that requires the body to adapt to improve - but moreso, you need to create an environment friendly to adaptation by paying attention.

Good one.

You are getting all the feedback you could possibly need. Your job is to decide what is important. What will you focus on? How will you direct your resources? Where is your attention at any given moment?

Yes! Always ask yourself that. Great stuff.

be

Hello: Guys this thread has turned on the light bulb in my head. I appreciate all the great info here. Alot of what has been said here is what I am doing wrong. My shooting has been getting worse the last couple of months and now I know why. I will try using this info this Sunday at our local USPSA match and see if it works for me. I have a feeling it will. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I guess I owe all you guys a beer. My vision was great today and I was even hitting the targets. After the scores are posted I will know how I did against the guys I usually shoot with. I know I shot a little slower but was actually calling my shots and even shot one stage doing headshots only. I also shot the whole match with both eyes open and no tape on the glasses. I have noticed that I was shooting the past couple of months with just one eye and that was hurting me. I can't say for sure but I think I was blinking with one eye open as well. With both eyes open I was actually seeing the front sight rise and fall back into the notch. You guys are the best :cheers: Thanks, Eric

• 2 years later...

"Making the shot" has to do with your will or intention, and is known by way of your call. Why I've learned it's good to distinguish the two (willing and calling) is because too much will can detract from your ability to call shots. We're so used to wanting and trying, after some time we don't even notice we are doing it let alone that it is not doing us much good.

Sometimes I feel that I need this tattooed on my forehead.

Will, for me, is a very slippery slope. I have wasted a lot of ammo trying to will something to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Tell yourself clearly what you are going to do until you have no doubts about what you are going to do. Then don't think about it any more until you do it.

Due to the various complexity levels of different stages, sometimes you just have to say, once - I'm going to draw and shoot that target in the middle. But for a comlex field course, you may have to think and program for some time until you are doubt free. Regardless, the theme doesn't vary - don't over think, don't over program.

The point of mental programming and visualization is to elimate doubt. Stop when that's been accomplished.

be

• 2 weeks later...

A good example is a breakout game I played in practice the other day. I posted in Range Diary but to sum up I was shooting Bill Drills at 7m and I had the breakout goal of not shooting a split under .18, I wanted to shoot exactly what I was seeing and not push for a fast time or fast splits. Oddly enough when I ran each drill I saw everything very clearly and precisely, shot all A's on all but one run where I got just into the C zone and my splits were all under .18 some hitting .15. While technically this was a fail it showed me that if I just stay with the plan of seeing what I need to for each shot I will shoot faster than trying to rush to get quick splits.

Breakout games, for various stings of fire, are great learning tools.

Me and the TGO played them a lot when practicing for the Steel Challenge. My goal might be to shoot 5 to Go, with a 4-string total of 12.00 seconds. Then Rob could pick whatever time he thought he could shoot the closest to, without going under the total time he picked. The winner would be whoever could shoot the closest to his time, without going under it. It was uncanny how often we could hit our time to the hundredth, or just be .01 or .02 over.

The Breakout Game will teach you exactly what you need to see to shoot consistent, accurate runs.

be

(Let's give the Breakout Game it's own thread.)