Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a CZ-75b with a shadow mag release production legal?

Whoops!

The shadow mag release is extended rearward for an easier press. The CZ-75B does not have to be modified for it to fit. However, the shadow mag release must be filed down on the back in an externally visible area for it to properly function with the 75b. After filing the back of the mag release to make it fit, which you wouldn't have to do in a factory Shadow frame, is it a legal part to be used in production?

If not, can the frame of the CZ-75b be modified to replicate that of a shadow mag release opening and then be legal with the stock shadow mag release?

Edited by Whoops!

Of course I can, I wouldn't ask the question otherwise.

(cont)

Exchange of minor

EXTERNAL components

offered on the specific model of gun or another

approved gun from the same manufacturer except as

specifically clarified below. Examples of external

components which may only be replaced with OEM

parts include (but are not limited to): magazine

releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

• Barrels are considered “external parts” and are subject

to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated

rulings.

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends

only the length of the magazine release may be used.

A magazine release which provides larger surface

area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an

OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

• Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns

will only be considered “OEM parts” if the customshop

gun is on the NROI list of approved Production

guns.

The shadow mag release is an OEM part on an approved version of the CZ, the question is if it remains OEM after it has been filed to fit a regular CZ-75. Then the question also arises, is fitting the OEM part, customizing . . . The immediately most reasonable explanation would be no, a lot of OEM parts have to be fitted to work. But, in this case, the fitting to the CZ-75 b is vastly different. The question is also if a CZ-75 frame can be made into an OEM shadow frame if the part ceases to be an OEM mag release after being fitted to another approved version.

Edited by Whoops!

Whoops,

my interpretation of reading that is that drop in parts are legal -- parts that require modification of the frame are definitely out, and if and adjustment that's more than fitting is required on the replacement part, then that's likely out too....

Once you modify the mag release to fit the 75, will it still fit the source gun, or will it be too small?

Either way you fit it (file the frame or the release) I don't think you gain a compeditive advantage over the Shadow.

I would say this language permits it:

"A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun."

The rule says nothing about it being a "drop in" part.

From a purely practical standpoint, there's no real reason anyone should be moved to open for this, the 75b will still have less of a competitive edge than the shadow thanks to the restriction on magwell flaring, which the shadow comes with from the factory. Not to mention the potential benefits of the full length guiderod, better trigger mechanism, and full-length frame . . .

There is an extended mag release available that fits the round hole in the 75B frame. I don't think it's as long as the shadow release but it was enough to solve my problems dropping the mag. I think it's off one of the 85 variants. I'd call CZC and discuss options.

I would complain if I got moved to open. I'm sure there's a few folks using shadow hammers that have been machined down to fit the narrower 75b as well.

Hmmm that's a good question there as I was told I couldn't relieve the hammer to clear the CZC sights I was using when I had a 75

There is an extended mag release available that fits the round hole in the 75B frame. I don't think it's as long as the shadow release but it was enough to solve my problems dropping the mag. I think it's off one of the 85 variants. I'd call CZC and discuss options.

Cz Custom doesn't seem to list it on their site, but going to the CZ website it appears to be the 85 Combat mag release, thanks for the tip.

I would complain if I got moved to open. I'm sure there's a few folks using shadow hammers that have been machined down to fit the narrower 75b as well.

Hmmm that's a good question there as I was told I couldn't relieve the hammer to clear the CZC sights I was using when I had a 75

Interesting. Perhaps machining the hammer narrower is 'not visible'?

I think it would be a helpful to pin a thread regarding official rulings in X Division, what do you think? That way we could all share the info we gather in one place and avoid hammering Amidon with "can I do X to my Production gun?" emails all day every day.

Edited by kneelingatlas