Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbon or stainless slide

landry92

I recently bought an STI frame kit that I'm going to build into a 9mm stock gun for plate shoots. I know I'm going to buy a caspian 5in slide. My question is should I go with the more expensive stainless slide or the the carbon slide? Is there a benefit to either besides toughness? I think I'd rather have a dark finish to the slide but if there is really a much greater benefit to stainless slide I would consider it.

Thanks

Due to the metallurgy of stainless it used to be that stainless was more difficult to work without the possibility of galling issues and/or excessive tooling wear. Advancements in the stainless used by the bigger names have made this less of a concern, but some gunsmiths I respect have recommended that unless you absolutely must have stainless the carbon is their choice of material for a 1911 slide.

Stainless Steel will gall over time. Just keep it clean and run it wet and should have no problems. If you want carbon steel then think about getting it hard chromed, you can have a mirror or matte finish or a combo of both. Carbon steel shows the wear & scratches more readily, and will rust if not properly taken care of.