Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625, 625JM or ?

ZackJones

Greetings,

First post. I'm getting back into shooting competitively after taking a 10 year break :(. I currently shoot a S&W Model 10 for ICORE and Steel Challenge. I'm almost 100% certain I want to get a S&W in .45ACP. I know about the 625/625JM but right now those are out of my budget - especially a new one. I was wondering if there's other S&W revolvers in .45ACP that may be less expensive, especially if I can find one used, that I should consider. By the same token are there any .45 ACP models that I should avoid? Also is it safe to assume that all .45 ACP revolvers are already have the cylinder machined for moon clips? Thanks in advance for any advice you can pass along.

I'm curious why you want to start with one of those, do you just like them? ICORE has a 120 power factor and Steel Challenge has no power factor. I wouldn't want a 1917 personally, they lack adjustable sights and only have a sight channel. You could also look for an older Model 25, you could shoot 45 Long Colt or 45 ACP out of one but you'd have to get it machined for moonclips to shoot 45 ACP. Unless it's for the appeal of shooting 45 though, 38 is less expensive and recoils less.

Any revolver intended for use with 45 ACP will be made to use moon clips because the cartridge is rimless. Only revolvers chambered in rimmed cartridges must be modified for moon clips.

I don't think you can shoot 45 Long Colt in a gun chambered for 45 ACP, although with machining you may be able to do visa versa.

At that point you're probably better off getting what you want to start with.

It's a long answer regarding used guns and models to avoid, so I'll leave that for someone else or point you to the search function.

Thanks for the replies I do appreciate the feedback. Right now I'm shooting ICORE and SC but who knows I may even start shooting USPSA matches again. I was thinking the 625 would be the one revolver that would do it all for me. With it I could shoot ICORE but would have to move to limited division instead of classic. It will work fine for SC and would make major for USPSA. On the other hand with my current pistol I can shoot classic division in ICORE, it works for SC and can shoot production or revolver in minor if I wanted to shoot USPSA. Eventually I know I want to buy a .45 ACP 1911 style pistol of some sort so having a revolver and 1911 that shoot the same caliber appeals to me. Perhaps I should just forget about the .45ACP stuff for now and concentrate on doing the best I can with what I have.