Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet tumbling with a rotary tumbler

You will probably find that there is a reason that good wet tumblers are not cheap. Most of them are actually rock tumblers designed to run continuously for a week or more. I use a Lortone rock tumbler with dry media, works just fine and I don't have to worry about leaving it on. Bought it used from a rockhound friend of mine, cost me $100 worth of 45 rounds but that was half of a new one.

And Harbor Freight is not known for quality... But I do have one of their 12 ton presses!

I thought about going wet for my brass until I saw how much work it was to do compared to shaking out the dry media... But I will admit the wet tumbled stuff looks way nicer when it is done. Since I am only loading for a 45 I can live with what comes out of my tumbler

But you might also check jewelry making supplies, they also sell stainless media and it seems to be way cheaper than gun based sources.

You will probably find that there is a reason that good wet tumblers are not cheap. Most of them are actually rock tumblers designed to run continuously for a week or more. I use a Lortone rock tumbler with dry media, works just fine and I don't have to worry about leaving it on. Bought it used from a rockhound friend of mine, cost me $100 worth of 45 rounds but that was half of a new one.

And Harbor Freight is not known for quality... But I do have one of their 12 ton presses!

I thought about going wet for my brass until I saw how much work it was to do compared to shaking out the dry media... But I will admit the wet tumbled stuff looks way nicer when it is done. Since I am only loading for a 45 I can live with what comes out of my tumbler

But you might also check jewelry making supplies, they also sell stainless media and it seems to be way cheaper than gun based sources.

I will check that out I know a rock tumbler is the same thing and way cheaper because it is not gun related. I just don't understand people paying so much for stainless steel rods. I feel like I can get them at Home Depot for less than half.

google sunny metal inc. look at their stainless steel microfibers for concrete reinforcment or if you are into it shred their stainless steel wool meant for packing mufflers. Then get a $175 electric cement mixer with a plastic tub. Mine has been running about 4-6 hours a weekday for over a year. Does about a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm at a time.

Pellets LLC for media. Downside is that you have to buy a 50 lb bag. Upside, you can sell the other 40 lbs for what the entire 50 lb bag cost.

I bought 5lbs on Amazon last week of Pellets llc. 40 something dollars. Free two day shipping with prime.