Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production gun approval and/or list

shootingchef

DA/SA/DAO/Striker fired, no SA guns allowed

10 round mag capacity limit

No dots, comps, or optics

Holster and mag pouch position restricted

Being that almost every modifications are allowed in PD (as long as you have the original lower - even one that is stippled), this list seems good.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we forgetting the some revolvers are also allowed in the production division? Or is the thought to push those wheel guns out of production and let them play in the revolver division along with the other revolvers?

Does this:

DA/SA/DAO/Striker fired, no SA guns allowed

Not also describe Revolvers? They need to be either DAO or DA/SA, right?

That's not a new list of rules -- I've long argued that they are the relevant ones to making production what it is.....

The lines about 10 round mag capacity, and the holster and mag pouch position restrictions was what I was alluding to.

Ah. Since I've gone the better part of a decade without ever seeing a revolver play in Production, you'll have to forgive me for not adding language specific to that.......

When revolvers were first given production eligibility, I was in favor because I thought 8 rounders would have a place to play. Oddly no one ever showed up with one......

You want to bring a revolver to play n Production -- I'm certainly not going to stop you. Division capacity however should remain at 10, and I don't really care where you put speedloader pouches or moonclip holders, since I realize you'll need more real estate, to carry enough ammo.... :P :P

Revolvers are pretty well covered by the current rules defined in Appendix D4. The holster and speed loaders / moon clips are exempt from the normal production placement restriction. Holster must cover at least half of the cylinder so that rules out race holsters from Double Alpha, etc so we'd have to use an Uncle Mike's or Blade-Tech so we wouldn't look completely out of place shooting production :).

Revolvers are pretty well covered by the current rules defined in Appendix D4. The holster and speed loaders / moon clips are exempt from the normal production placement restriction. Holster must cover at least half of the cylinder so that rules out race holsters from Double Alpha, etc so we'd have to use an Uncle Mike's or Blade-Tech so we wouldn't look completely out of place shooting production :).

I don't see that the holster position is exempt. Speed loaders/moon clips -- sure......

I think the whole revolver thing is interesting with the new Revolver Division rules allowing for 8 shot minor there really is no reason to shoot a revo in production any more. so I don't see where removing the revolver specific exceptions would be bad. If you wan to shoot your 7 or 8 shot revolver in minor with your moon clips or speed loaders in the front then you can shoot Revolver division. if you want to shoot with everything behind the hip then you can shoot production if you want. With the new rules the very few who ever shot production with a revolver will now just shoot revolver.

Mike

If there is one thing not worrying about when it comes to Production division, it's revolvers.

I'm 99% sure that when they conceived production division - and it was meant to be a "beginner" division - they were envisioning guys coming to matches with 7 or 8 shot S&Ws and being frustrated that they couldn't use them in Revo division. "Let them shoot Production," they said. I know a lot of people still thing Production is for beginners, but the fact remains that any conversation regarding revolvers in Production division is irrelevant because a) no one shoots a revolver in Production; and B) put a comped revolver with a red dot in Jerry's hands and he will still lose to most A class Production shooters because even the best revolver in the world isn't as competitive as a box stock G34.

Edited by beltjones

I don't see that the holster position is exempt. Speed loaders/moon clips -- sure......

Nik,

I re-read it and I agree. Holster position is not exempt. That will teach me to post before the caffeine has fully kicked in.

Zack,

I can relate to that one.....

I've been known to do that -- eventually I learned to read the manual before posting..... :D :D

If there is one thing not worrying about when it comes to Production division, it's revolvers.

I'm 99% sure that when they conceived production division - and it was meant to be a "beginner" division - they were envisioning guys coming to matches with 7 or 8 shot S&Ws and being frustrated that they couldn't use them in Revo division. "Let them shoot Production," they said. I know a lot of people still thing Production is for beginners, but the fact remains that any conversation regarding revolvers in Production division is irrelevant because a) no one shoots a revolver in Production; and B) put a comped revolver with a red dot in Jerry's hands and he will still lose to most A class Production shooters because even the best revolver in the world isn't as competitive as a box stock G34.

Actually, IIRC, there were no revolvers on the PD gun list until the 2004 rules came out. At that point the BOD voted in a rules change that would let Revos play in PD if the owner so desired -- and eight shooters finally had a home where all eight shots could be fired without a reload....

...no one shoots a revolver in Production; and B) put a comped revolver with a red dot in Jerry's hands and he will still lose to most A class Production shooters because even the best revolver in the world isn't as competitive as a box stock G34.

Not comped or red-dotted, but JM shot the 2009 Production Nationals with an 8-shooter.

38th place, I think 2 'A' shooters were ahead of him.

Regardless, change it to "most M's" and the facts don't change. The greatest revo shooter in America couldn't beat most Ms shooting Production guns.

The point is not what class of Production shooter Jerry can beat, the point is he couldn't possibly win a major match in Production shooting a revolver, because a revolver is not anywhere close to being a competitive Production gun. So who cares how you define the rules for revolvers within Production when no one is going to get an advantage in Production by shooting a revolver.