Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 safety question

Sandbagger123

Both sides can go up? or only the right? If the right only then the middle part may be broken depending on whose safety it is. If both sides then it if fit incorrectly and will cause problems later, and may be unsafe.

yep, both sides go up. looking at the safety, it looks all original. the inside and outside finish have the same finish

Aside from changing thumb safeties on the gun, what else have you changed?

Last winter I did a make-over on a 2011 and had a new sear/hammer/disco installed. The stock thumb safety (which was fitted to the stock sear) did exactly as you described where the TS could be flipped up even when the hammer was down.

I ended up replacing the thumb safety and fit it to the new sear. I now keep the original TS along with the original sear as a matched set in my parts kit in the event I need a temporary spare.

Aside from changing thumb safeties on the gun, what else have you changed?

Last winter I did a make-over on a 2011 and had a new sear/hammer/disco installed. The stock thumb safety (which was fitted to the stock sear) did exactly as you described where the TS could be flipped up even when the hammer was down.

I ended up replacing the thumb safety and fit it to the new sear. I now keep the original TS along with the original sear as a matched set in my parts kit in the event I need a temporary spare.

i bought it used so not sure whats the trigger group. the only thing i changed was the safetys. As i stated, the safety seems to work in blocking the movement of the trigger, so what can happen if it is not fixed?? will it go FA

i bought it used so not sure whats the trigger group. the only thing i changed was the safetys. As i stated, the safety seems to work in blocking the movement of the trigger, so what can happen if it is not fixed?? will it go FA

No, that would be the dis-connector. The safety can allow the gun to fire even if it is applied if it is not correct, or may cause the gun to fire when the safety is removed after the trigger is pressed. (i.e. it allows enough movement of the sear with it applied that safety is holding the hammer back and when released the hammer falls. (simplified explanation))

Sound's like your safety is no longer safe! When the hanner is back and the saftey engaged, will depressing the trigger allow the hammer to fall? If so, you can either try to salvage it with a hammer, or fit a new one.

Sound's like your safety is no longer safe! When the hanner is back and the saftey engaged, will depressing the trigger allow the hammer to fall? If so, you can either try to salvage it with a hammer, or fit a new one.

that the thing, everything works as it should. does not drop hammer when safety released, etc. i should probably take it apart and look at the parts interaction and the difference between the 2 safeties