Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about Taran Tactical Basepads for STI mags.

cheers623

So I've been using Dawson basepads for years and been very happy with them. My only complaint is that they are big-feeling in the hand and sometimes hinder my getting a good grip during a heated reload. I've seen the Taran Tactical basepads and they look well made and possibly much more comfortable to grip on the magazine. However, how hard is it to get them off when the spring and follower are in the mag? The basepads I've tried in the past like Grams and Bolens are a hassle to disassemble because the spring catches in the bottom of the basepads and I'm always having to stick a screwdriver or something to pry the springs up over the lip of the basepad to slide them off. I'm always afraid I'll bend or stretch the mag springs out of shape when taking them off. Reassembly is easy enough but the takedown seems to be a hassle. Any wisdom or tricks to it? Otherwise I'll stick with the ease of takedown with the Dawson pads.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice. Oh yeah...if I do buy them, who has em in stock? Looked everywhere...

Cheers623

DVC

You must be referring to Bolens pads since you have to push the pin down and then slide them back and it catches the spring in it until it clears the basepad lips on the mag. The Grams pads have a U retainer that is pulled out and the basepads is taken directly off and no sliding so no spring catch at all. I believe Taran got the rights to the Bolens pads and produces them under his name. If not, they sure are identical twins.

If you don't like the size of the Dawson and don't want to deal with sliding the pad back with the spring catching slight, then get the Grams. They come in many different lengths and are a good size, not too small or too big.

Gng4life....sorry my bad. Had the Grams and you're right about the design. The thing I didn't like about them was the material. I train around concrete floors and busted a few too easily. Regarding the TTI pads, it sounds like they're going to be the same as Bolens used to be before they got bought by Taran. Keep the input coming and thanks for the replys,

Cheers623

DVC

• 2 weeks later...

I am tossing the idea of this around myself. I currently run the Dawson SNLs and considering the TTI 4mm for my 140s with grams guts. I have one I am trying out now. I will give some feedback after testing

Alright, got one to try and in dry fire reload practice it feels great in the hand compared to the Daswson SNL. Seems to give me a more consistent grip on the magazine. However, one question remains. It seems as if I might start bending or mangling the mag spring at the bottom, every time I pull the pads off. They seem to bend and stretch the heck out of the spring right before they come loose. Anyone know if this is actually a concern or am I overly worried about nothing?

Cheers623

DVC

Alright, got one to try and in dry fire reload practice it feels great in the hand compared to the Daswson SNL. Seems to give me a more consistent grip on the magazine. However, one question remains. It seems as if I might start bending or mangling the mag spring at the bottom, every time I pull the pads off. They seem to bend and stretch the heck out of the spring right before they come loose. Anyone know if this is actually a concern or am I overly worried about nothing?

Cheers623

DVC

I have been using Bolens (TTI) basepads for several years without any issues so I think you are worried about a non issue.

Cheers623

DVC

I have been using Bolens (TTI) basepads for several years without any issues so I think you are worried about a non issue.
Thanks for the reply. Do yours do the same thing I'm describing? If so, and you've had no problems with your springs then I'm going to be buying a few more of these bad boys.

Cheers623

DVC

Edited by cheers623

Just got some TTI 4g's to try - mainly because my mags fit the gauge with them and still load 21 rounds (my mags didn't fit with DP SNLs).

I just slide a thin punch/takedown tool in the slot in the mag body and push down on the spring a little and the pad slides right off.

After running the one i had to test, I found the the TTI base pad fit better in my hand leading to better reloads. I tested it with both my .40 limited and 38s open mags. I do believe I will be switching all my base pads to TTI.