Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tired of sweeping spent primers off the floor

I have a Dillon 550 with case feeder and load mostly for 9 Major. When I resize/deprime, 20% of the time, the spent primer shoots in any direction except down the primer chute and into the waste cup. I'm always picking primers up off my bench and the floor. My primer chute opens and closes perfectly every time, but the de-primer seems to occasionally shoot the primer out in an odd direction. Other times it works fine, but is so inconsistent.

I wish there was a set up like UniqueTek has for the 650 on the 550. I've been loading for over 3 years now but am at a point where I'm just sick of it! Please share a suggestions.

I understand from previous posts that beveling the pin is a fix for keeping primers from sticking to it. I've never had that problem, but I'm willing to try this and see if it makes a difference.

Grumpy is correct. Stick a LEE die in there and it stops doing it. But also look at the chute. Probably want to put a finish nail or something in place of the cheesy cotter pin in the hinge part.

Hey Canuk. That is exactly what I want, but I have a 550. Do the holes on that metal catch line up with the small screw holes that hold the primer chute on the 550?

No they are a totally different setup.