Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What USPSA and IDPA class can I shoot in?

kirbinster

I recently purchased a CZ-75B (safety, no decocker) and am confused as to what class I can shoot this in. In stock or production can I shoot it cocked and locked or do I have to manually decock it and shoot double action. If the latter, what category do I need to participate in to shoot cocked and locked.

They're called Divisions (Open, Limited, L10, Production, Single Stack and Revolver); once you shoot enough Classifiers, you'll be classified as D, C, B, A, M, or GM.

The CZ75 is a perfect pistol for the Production division although its also legal (but not optimal) in Limited, L10 and Open as well.

In Production you must start with your CZ hammer down and break the first shot in DA. This means your frame safety model must be decocked manually by pulling the trigger while holding the hammer and lowering it to rest. You can start cocked and locked in Limited, L10 or Open, but not Production.

With some polishing and springs you will not be held back by your 75B, it's a very competitive platform.

IDPA has a similar division, but I'm not familiar.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Yes, in Production all calibers are scored as Minor Power Factor, but in Limited/L10 your 9mm will be scored Minor while shooters with .40/.45 pistols will be scored Major. Plus your pistol is not very compeditive in Limited/L10 (vs my CZ Tactical Sport with 21 rounds of .40 in the mag, a 5.1" barrel, and a 23oz SAO trigger).

Edited by kneelingatlas

IDPA divisions are Stock Service Pistol (SSP), CZ75B is fine, must start hammer down, Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP), may start cocked and locked and Customer Defensive Pistol (CDP), you may not shoot this division as it's 45 only. As IDPA ESP has more restrictions than USPSA Limited and doesn't have major power factor, a CZ75B is closer to competitive in ESP than you would be in Limited.

I've never shot IDPA, I am just an internet ninja. So YMMV. I suggest you head for a match and try it. I mainly shoot other stuff and haven't had time to try it.

Some places L10 is not very popular, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

Why do you want to start cocked and locked? competitively, you'll be at a disadavantage shooting L10 with a 9mm, but that won't stop you from enjoying yourself and getting better.

You can make your 75b more pleasant to shoot in double-action by getting a lighter mainspring.

Why do you want to start cocked and locked? competitively, you'll be at a disadavantage shooting L10 with a 9mm, but that won't stop you from enjoying yourself and getting better.

You can make your 75b more pleasant to shoot in double-action by getting a lighter mainspring.

I want to do that because I am less accurate in double action mode. That is the one thing I don't like about my Beretta 92FS, and with that there is no way to safely shoot cocked and locked as there is no safety. I have shot my Glock G22 in Limited 10, but I guess I have an advantage there as it is scored a major power factor versus production where I effectively get penalized shooting major and being scored as minor.

I want to do that because I am less accurate in double action mode. That is the one thing I don't like about my Beretta 92FS, and with that there is no way to safely shoot cocked and locked as there is no safety. I have shot my Glock G22 in Limited 10, but I guess I have an advantage there as it is scored a major power factor versus production where I effectively get penalized shooting major and being scored as minor.

Most people are slightly less accurate on the first shot in DA. Most people fix that by practicing. Now there is no significant difference in speed and accuracy for me out to about 12-15 yards. If I have to start out with a longer shot than that, I slow down slightly. The lighter mainspring helped alot. Stock is around 20 lbs? You should be able to go to 15lbs without changing anything else, and 13 lbs if you get an extended firing pin from czcustom or cagungunworks, or 8-11 lbs if you are also willing to stick to federal primers.

A couple times a week i spend 5-10 mins just drawing to a double-action pull, while looking at the sights against a bare-white wall. It has really helped. I also do it stronghand only and weakhand only.

Edited by motosapiens

When I first started shooting production with a SA/DA, one hint that helped alot was to prep the trigger as you are pushing the gun out on target and squeezing the trigger as you get close to fully extending your arms. Needless to say, no matter what I did I still hated that first DA shot especially if it was a distant target. Then I went onto striker fired guns - M&P Pro and XDM's - no more heavy DA first shot - but a mushy trigger compared to 1911's or my Tanfo's. If you have never shot SA , esp a nice 1911 trigger let's just say you will become spoiled and never want to shoot anything else.

I have two 1911's and love them, but why would I want to shoot .45 acp versus 9mm for IDPA? For USPSA I can shoot them as major power factor, but for IDPA I think it better to stick with 9mm, or am I missing something?

As for squeezing the trigger as you are drawing and pushing out would you not get the finger warning as you are doing this before you are on target?

Edited by kirbinster

I started shooting both IDPA and USPSA simultaneously. SSP / Production , then CDP / SS , ESP / L10 , then Limited - for USPSA - it was a pretty easy transition going from 10 rds in Production down to 8 rds in SS. As for 45acp vs 9mm in IDPA , it's just a little bit harder game but not that much harder since max rd count is 18. I enjoy SS in USPSA but really need to eat more Twinkies to put more mags on my belt LOL!

As for DA first shot , you gotta be safe but the basic gist was to shoot as you are fully extending your arm , making that 1st shot as you reach close to full extension - kinda tricks your brain for that heavy DA pull vs all your other SA shots. Most guys that started shooting with , went to striker fired - just so all the trigger pull was the same everytime.