Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight height - someone check my math?

Trebor Snave

Shooting a 5" 625 and I would like to put a fiber optic front sight on it before next season. The stock front sight height is 0.272" and I have 0.06" of travel before the rear sight bottoms out.

If I go with a 0.250" front sight, it will shoot high with my current settings. But there should be enough travel before the sight bottoms out to regain zero.

If I go with a 0.300" front sight, it will shoot low with my current settings, and the rear sight will have to come up to regain zero.

Or do I have it backwards?

Shooting a 5" 625 and I would like to put a fiber optic front sight on it before next season.

"Best" way to go is a .160 rear blade (which also has a deeper notch for a better sight picture with a FO front) and a .300 front.

And a shameless plug for Toolguys' really nice .100 wide FO front sights.

I had to go to a .300 on my 625, a .250 would bottom out and always shot a bit too high.

My 627 came with a .160 RS blade and I like it. The .160 is the depth of the notch a Millet is typically .090 and a standard stock you find on a 357 or 44 is usually .060.

What is the 0.160" a measure of?

It's how S&W gauges the height of their rear blades. Run the blade all the way left or right (whichever way it sticks out farthest) and measure the height of the blade sticking out. I think 625s usually came with a .146. The heights seem to run ~+/-.002".