Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to begin..? PractiScore.

chaosshooter00

There are a lot of threads on getting started and a lot are different. Is there a new and improved step by step for dummies? I have been trying to get this going on my own for months and alas, I need all the help I can get. Our club has four NST's, a laptop and my Android phone, is this a reasonable arsenal to get going? I will be looking for an iP?? later, but right now it's not reasonable. I sold the club on the NST's thinking that was all we would need and so far I haven't delivered. Would really like to use these this weekend and appreciate any and all help. Thanks

The challenge with using a new deployment leveraging PractiScore is that there ARE many different ways to do it.

I wrote a Nook/PractiScore match scoring procedure based on the general process we used for the old Palm/StageScore electronic scoring solution. I have attached the procedure to this post. There are several USPSA clubs in Colorado using this exact procedure to successfully run matches using the Nook/PractScore solution. I wrote this procedure from a use perspective of simply handing the procedure to ANYONE and all they have to do is read and perform the steps defined in the procedure. Hopefully this helps with your new Nook/PractiScore deployment.

Once again, this is just one option of many in how to leverage Nook's, PractScore, and EzWinScore to run a match. What I can tell you that this procedure DOES work and is currently in use at several clubs.

EzWinScore to Nook Scoring Procedure 10-8-2013.doc

To give you an idea of how one of our matches proceeds, I drew this flowchart a few weeks back:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t2e60pbptm9fy9/Practiscore%20USPSA%20Lvl1%20Match%20Scoring%20Flow.pdf

Man, that looks EASY, experience has shown me it is not. I am still trying to do this without the purchase of an iP??. I input the stages on my phone manually, there's just five, how do I get it to the NST's or do I need to start with the laptop? Thanks

The challenge with using a new deployment leveraging PractiScore is that there ARE many different ways to do it.

I wrote a Nook/PractiScore match scoring procedure based on the general process we used for the old Palm/StageScore electronic scoring solution. I have attached the procedure to this post. There are several USPSA clubs in Colorado using this exact procedure to successfully run matches using the Nook/PractScore solution. I wrote this procedure from a use perspective of simply handing the procedure to ANYONE and all they have to do is read and perform the steps defined in the procedure. Hopefully this helps with your new Nook/PractiScore deployment.

Once again, this is just one option of many in how to leverage Nook's, PractScore, and EzWinScore to run a match. What I can tell you that this procedure DOES work and is currently in use at several clubs.

I must be way off base, as I didn't start with anything like that. I will read through and see if it helps. Thanks

The procedure I posted is basically a Start to Finish scoring procedure for dummies. Every single click and action is defined in the procedure as it does not assume ANY prior knowledge of how to do anything. If you read and follow the procedures you will be successful.

The procedure I posted is basically a Start to Finish scoring procedure for dummies. Every single click and action is defined in the procedure as it does not assume ANY prior knowledge of how to do anything. If you read and follow the procedures you will be successful.

Have you used this lately? I just got to Step 2 (7) went to that file and it OPENS a list o f shooters, no download. Not saying I didn't do something wrong, but it doesn't work for me. Any ideas?

Have you used this lately? I just got to Step 2 (7) went to that file and it OPENS a list o f shooters, no download. Not saying I didn't do something wrong, but it doesn't work for me. Any ideas?

Why USPSA chooses to pop up a web page that contains all of the classificaiton data in a text format is beyond me as it is not very user friendly. Here is my reccomendation and what I personally do. Right click on the "ez_class_update.txt" link in the USPSA web page and then select "Save Link As..." this will save the classification data file to your PC as a text file.

Interesting to see how other clubs do it.

I pretty much skip EzWinscore until after the match. Our webmaster set up the registration on our web page to go to a text file that I can open in Excel as a CSV file and make any adjustments needed (like double registers or spam). I import that into PS through dropbox, set up the stages in PS, back up to a Nook master from my Andriod tablet and am ready for match day. At the match I add shooters direct to PS on my tablet with a bluetooth keyboard, adjust any other changes given to me then and toss one person from each squad into that squad (that makes it easier for a person in each squad to pull the others into the squad), sync to the squad Nooks and send them on their way.

I do all of my importing into EZWinscore after the match, fix the classifier if there is one, run the classification update and am done.

Why USPSA chooses to pop up a web page that contains all of the classificaiton data in a text format is beyond me as it is not very user friendly. Here is my reccomendation and what I personally do. Right click on the "ez_class_update.txt" link in the USPSA web page and then select "Save Link As..." this will save the classification data file to your PC as a text file.

You could also just download the .zip file.

Okay...so I did the step by step and it almost worked. We don't run our matches with a pre-register, we register at the match, so I guessed which shooters would show and went from there trying to use WinScore to preload the match. BAD IDEA! 60% of the guys I consider to be my core shooters didn't show. Needless to say, I couldn't figure how to enter shooters on the fly, so it was PAPER again. There must be a way to import the Master shooter file into an Android device and then pick and choose your shooters at the range. Any ideas?

Interesting to see how other clubs do it.

I pretty much skip EzWinscore until after the match. Our webmaster set up the registration on our web page to go to a text file that I can open in Excel as a CSV file and make any adjustments needed (like double registers or spam). I import that into PS through dropbox, set up the stages in PS, back up to a Nook master from my Andriod tablet and am ready for match day. At the match I add shooters direct to PS on my tablet with a bluetooth keyboard, adjust any other changes given to me then and toss one person from each squad into that squad (that makes it easier for a person in each squad to pull the others into the squad), sync to the squad Nooks and send them on their way.

I do all of my importing into EZWinscore after the match, fix the classifier if there is one, run the classification update and am done.

That's A LOT like what I want to do minus the on line registration. Thanks for the input.

Okay...so I did the step by step and it almost worked. We don't run our matches with a pre-register, we register at the match, so I guessed which shooters would show and went from there trying to use WinScore to preload the match. BAD IDEA! 60% of the guys I consider to be my core shooters didn't show. Needless to say, I couldn't figure how to enter shooters on the fly, so it was PAPER again. There must be a way to import the Master shooter file into an Android device and then pick and choose your shooters at the range. Any ideas?

If you are going to use the documented procedure that I gave you, EzWinScore MUST own the overall registration. If you add additional shooters to the Nook mid match then try to upload the results to EzWinScore after the match it will fail.

At all of the local matches here in Colorado we define a registration start and cutoff time. This is usually from 8am to 9:30am. During the registration time the shooters come to the stats shack and register for the match. The score keeper inputs this registration information into EzWinScore. Once the registration cutoff time happens we then use EzWinScore to add extra "Walkin" shooters to the registration. If late arriving shooters register after the cutoff time we manually assign them a "Walkin" entry number and they use that Walkin entry to score their match. After the match is completed you upload the results from the Nook into EzWinScore then edit the "Walkin" shooters in the registration section as needed to change them to the real competitors name, division, etc.

Edited by CHA-LEE

If you are going to use the documented procedure that I gave you, EzWinScore MUST own the overall registration. If you add additional shooters to the Nook mid match then try to upload the results to EzWinScore after the match it will fail.

At all of the local matches here in Colorado we define a registration start and cutoff time. This is usually from 8am to 9:30am. During the registration time the shooters come to the stats shack and register for the match. The score keeper inputs this registration information into EzWinScore. Once the registration cutoff time happens we then use EzWinScore to add extra "Walkin" shooters to the registration. If late arriving shooters register after the cutoff time we manually assign them a "Walkin" entry number and they use that Walkin entry to score their match. After the match is completed you upload the results from the Nook into EzWinScore then edit the "Walkin" shooters in the registration section as needed to change them to the real competitors name, division, etc.

Wish I had a we, I have a ME and he runs sign in, shooter's meeting, squadding and stage set up at each event. I need the easiest way possible to sign in guys at the range. I have a large Senior group and most of them aren't computer savvy, but they are my consistent support crew and I am happy to any help they can supply. One club I shoot at monthly uses iP??'s and they are going to give me a run through on how they do it, even though it's different technology. Appreciate all your help and input, it got me the furthest yet.

Time to delegate buddy. Setting up registration in EzWinScore is not rocket science. Anyone can do it with very little training.

Doing "Everything" yourself will lead to burnout quickly. Spread around the work load as it will get the job done faster and provide a better quality match. This is a volunteer sport that can only happen with the support of the shooters. Communicate that in your next shooters meeting. USPSA Club matches are not like McDonnalds where you show up at the last minute, order a combo #5, then bolt as soon as you are done.

Time to delegate buddy. Setting up registration in EzWinScore is not rocket science. Anyone can do it with very little training.

Doing "Everything" yourself will lead to burnout quickly. Spread around the work load as it will get the job done faster and provide a better quality match. This is a volunteer sport that can only happen with the support of the shooters. Communicate that in your next shooters meeting. USPSA Club matches are not like McDonnalds where you show up at the last minute, order a combo #5, then bolt as soon as you are done.

Thanks, I may have fudged a little on the lack of help, but not much. Currently we have a lot of shortages due to injury, one death and my biggest helper being a snowbird. I am the youngest by almost twenty years at 42 and have had six surgeries in the last two years myself. I delegate as much as I can, but between hip and knee replacements, heart problems and old age, it's hard to get them moving. The outside clubs that shoot our monthly are a HUGE help in tearing down and putting away, but I need to streamline the electronic scoring soon as I am looking at back surgery again and will have to rely on my snowbird to keep things running. Two of the clubs we shoot at, Vegas and Lake Havasu, are doing it without much problem and doing sign ins at the range through the Master iP?? and Nook. I was just hoping to do the same and make it easy for the next guy. Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...