Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salient Arms and Zev/Glockworx

KevH

So I want to have a Glock 17 customized and have been looking at Salient's Tier 2 package and Zev.

Looking at the stuff offered by both it appears to be very similar almost as if done by the same folks. I also see they're both located in Oxnard, CA.

What is the story with these two companies? Anyone have any insight on their products?

My goal is a lightened slide to reduce muzzle flip, a match grade barrel to tighten group size, the grip high cut at the back of the trigger guard to allow a higher grip and a good trigger set at right about 4lbs. I want all of this and I want to be totally reliable for duty use.

I've been shooting a 1911 hand-built by John Jardine for the the past three years. I shot mostly Glocks before that and now going back to them again, even with a fair amount of practice, they seem way more crude. I think Salient or Zev/Glockworx could build a pistol for me; however, they seem to be very similar (ala Wilson Combat and Nighthawk).

I'm wondering what the history is there.

I do not shoot a Glock, but I do have four M&P Pro's my steel open gun has been worked by Salient Arms. To me, there is no one better to do your pistol work. Yes, they are pricy but this gun shoots like a $4,000 2011 or 1911 build. You will love the trigger, its really special. Now that said I have had two Glock's that were Zev guns. The are close in some areas, but Salient blows their doors off.

IMHO

I have just about a full ZEV glock and its great. I had looked at the SAI stuff, but they are WAY to proud of their stuff. very expensive compared to the others out there. I really like the ZEV trigger, and you can run a 4lb spring (comes with the 2.5 and 4 with the kit - i think those are the numbers). i ended up with the full trigger kit with the skeletonized/extended striker. much shorter pull and reset.

if you are looking at getting a side done and want one of their signature cuts, just have them build you a slide. buy the time you pay for the cuts and having it coated, you can just get one of their slides and have a few more options (like a bomar cut or leupold red dot cut) for free (well, as part of the package). they also do a very nice job on their grip work. i had mine double undercut, finger groves removed and the angle reduced. it came out awesome. plus the guys there are very helpful. infact i really wanted a particular extended slide release and thought they might have it. they didn't but found it online (which for some reason i was not able to do) and let me know where i could get it, which was another online website.

so, they have been nothing but great to me answering my questions and making great parts for the glock. ZEV for the win!!

I do not shoot a Glock, but I do have four M&P Pro's my steel open gun has been worked by Salient Arms. To me, there is no one better to do your pistol work. Yes, they are pricy but this gun shoots like a $4,000 2011 or 1911 build. You will love the trigger, its really special. Now that said I have had two Glock's that were Zev guns. The are close in some areas, but Salient blows their doors off.

IMHO

I'm curious what you mean when you say that your Glock worked over by Salient shoots like a 1911 or 2011?

Taran at TTi all the way...here's why. Taran started Salient years ago and his grip work is second to none. I, myself, had been looking at SAI and their Tier packages for quite some time and decide to try them out. I sent my M&P to them for a Tier 1 internal setup as well as a new set of Warren Tactical sights. I figured what's the worst that could happen...if anything, I'd be out 450 for the work. I called and ordered a curved T1 trigger and sights, mailed out the gun. Very little correspondence after that, then a package showed up at my office...

...not only did they install a Flat-faced trigger instead of a curved one, the front fiber front sight was showing rust, and looked like it had been beaten in with a sledgehammer. No receipt, no tracking number ever given. They said to send it back and they could either put the original parts back in and refund me, or they would install a new front sight. Another two weeks back at SAI...no thanks. Ended up selling the M&P.

Needless to say, TTI gets all my work from now on. Couldn't be happier with Taran and Adela there. Tarans sights are awesome and his grip work is amazing!!! Good people there!

Btw...the SAI site still isn't up...

Good times!

post-16818-0-78273400-1381834580_thumb.j

post-16818-0-66849400-1381834592_thumb.j

post-16818-0-87353400-1381834598_thumb.j

Edited by chowellacsbd