Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing lanolin lube

Dr Mitch

I started using lanolin to lube rifle brass for reloading. It's wonderful. But I have really just been processing on and off for a couple weeks, and have several thousand cases prepped. I'm starting to tumble them in batches today to remove the lube. Is there some point at which the media will become saturated with lanolin? Or can it be used indefinitely? This is a pretty specific query.

All the media - corncob or ground walnut hulls - eventually wears out due to rounding off all the rough edges and ceasing to polish much, if at all. Unless you have a real excess of lanolin on the cases it should last a normal time. If you shop around, it is all pretty inexpensive. I use the fine grind walnut hull from Harbor Freight and it is about a dollar a pound in 25 lb boxes. Main thing I like about it is that it's fine enough to not stick in primer holes which eliminates another step.

What Steve said,

One other thing that you can add to the mix with each new batch of brass, is one or two USED Bounce sheets. Helps keep the dust down and helps extending the life of the media.

I only lube rifle cases.

I use 2 batches of media

1 for cleaning that I use nufinish and mineral spirits

1 for taking the lube off, that has only mineral spirits

I found when I only used 1 batch of media for everything, my brass never got shiny

I ended up just using the same batch of media to clean the lube off of about 2500 .223 brass. My concern was whether the media would eventually saturate with lanolin. The media I'm using is crushed walnut shell.

An alternative is to leave the lube on until the case is loaded, then dump batches of a two or three hundred rounds into an old terrycloth towel sprayed with rubbing alcohol. Gets most to nearly all off. If you need to salvage the towel run it through the wash separately to get the lanolin out.

An isopropyl alcohol bath is what I use after sizing/trimming to get the lanoline off.

Put cases in a bucket, pour alcohol over cases, slosh around with a sponge or rag, drain and remove cases, place on old towel and rub them around, save alcohol for future use. As with kevin's method it doesn’t get 100% of the lube off, but it does remove maybe 90% and only takes about 15 minutes to do 1-2k of cases.

I save the alcohol in a gallon jug and have been using the same alcohol for quite a while. I figure when it becomes saturated with lanoline I’ll use that for case lube. ;)

Edited by Bamboo