Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken EJECTOR ramifications

dirtypool40

Help!!! I was just cleaning my gun before chrono and practice this afternoon. My new gun has broken the pins on the ejector. :mellow:

It will sit down in it place in the frame, but the end of the front pin is sheared. There is some pin left, but it's not firm in place like it was. :huh:

I am supposed to go to Argentina with this gun this weekend. Will it be OK? :o

There was a discussion here sometime back to the effect: "Ejectors: to pin or not to pin"

Brian settled the debate & stated that he always pins in ejectors on guns he works on. Considering Brian's extensive gunbuilding experience, that is obviously the prefferable way to go.

However, you asked: "Will it be OK? I leave in a week" Easy answer is have Brownells overnight you the same ejector you have now & if possible, have your gunsmith duplicate the angle on the nose of the ejector. If a local gunsmith can't reshape the nose in time, you could give it a go yourself; provided it is not an open gun, you stand a reasonable chance at success (open gun ejectors are often tricky).

Alternatively, leave it loose. I know of many guns used by top shooters that are not pinned in & the ejectors will actually fall out just be turning the gun upside down. It should be fine throughout the trip.

Are you talking about the two post on the bottom of the ejector or the pin that goes through the frame that holds the ejector in. I think your talking about the post, so just loctite it untill you can get a new one. The pin is not a big deal, it will run with out it.

From his description, it sounded to me like the front most post (the longer one) broke off at the bottom portion. I would imagine if this is the case, it broke off right through the notch or 1/2 circle cut out. Is this correct?

Yup, exactly. It broke the front of the two prongs, around the little pin.

In response to other questions, it's a limited gun. I put about 65k through my last one from the same guy, and about 25k through a single stack he built before that. This is the first part that's ever failed.

Good suggestions, but for now the solution is either switch guns or go as is. I am in Bolivia so having Brownell's "overnight" me anything is not realistic.

I am going to test it over the chrono this afternoon. It may be fine, I have roughly 1000 rounds through it since last cleaning and it ran fine, I have no idea when it broke.

"I am in Bolivia so having Brownell's "overnight" me anything is not realistic."

Got it. I was in Argentina in August; you likely already know that Buenos Aires is full of gunshops & for a surprising selection of 1911/IPSC parts (including locally made compensators - sadly all .45) you might try:

"Armeria Gun Parts" - downtown.

You might also try: "Armeria My Friend" (no joke - that is the correct name & it is in English though I've no clue why).

Have never shot in Argentina personally, but from the look of some of the hardware in the shops I visited, the IPSC community seems alive & well there. I think the ejector will be fine for the trip. Enjoy the shooting, the excellent steak & the red wine (you lucky dog).

On my Para the hole for the cross pin is misaligned, and so the pin has never held the ejector in tight. My smith said not to worry about it, that my (Limited) gun should eject fine. 50K rounds later, he's still right... B)

• 2 weeks later...