Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P16-40 Limited Holster/Mag Choice

SSGJohnV

Hello All,

I am awaiting receipt of my Para P16-40 in the next week or so and have some questions for you about holsters and mags and really the gun itself. I looked around and there didn't seem to be the answer to my exact questions, so here goes.

This is going to be a limited gun, so keep that in mind.

I was looking at a WSM II race holster for it and I didn't see an option for that gun on the DAA website. Should I select STI as the gun model? Will that work? I use a DAA Racer holster currently for my L10 1911 (Gov. model)

It's coming with 4 stock Para mags (pre 2001 gun, if that matters), 3 of which have Arredondo blue base pads, and a Dawson ICE magwell. Are there better/more reliable options out there or should I be good to go with the Arredondo's? I will of course test the mags for function and all of that once I receive the gun.

Should I expect to have to load long for this gun (1.180) to get it to feed?

I have heard mention of being able to use STI triggers in these guns, and I have a personal preference to flat triggers on my firearms. Anyone know where I can find such a beast?

In general, should I look at STI parts when/if I want to change some things, like the safety, fire control, and the like? I'm getting the feeling that this gun is almost an STI knockoff.

And lastly, should I expect this gun to be series 80, and will that affect my trigger selections? Thank you all for the help, and take care.

-John

I have a P-16 Limited gun as my backup limited setup.

#1 thing you should do is find Canadian made Mag's There was a posting with some for sale reasonobly recently on the board. Do a search and get them if you can. Canadian made tubes are the best IMO. The new stuff is made by Mecar and a little shorter.

#2 with the Dawson mag well (Same one I run) the Arrendando base pads didn't fit perfectly. I replaced all my pads with the Dawson easy takedown pads and it has been GREAT! Best decision I made and lets me clean my mags in between stages. Dirt is bad in a mag.

3# the gun left the factory as a Series 80 if it still has the parts in it I would recommend you pull them out and put in a spacer. Brownells sells them for under 10$. They will have a new trigger as well but none I liked. I wound up leaving the stock trigger in the gun and having the frame drilled and tapped for a takeup adjustment. I have a pic of that if you want to see it toss me an IM with an Email and I wil forward it.

AS far as holsters most all the 2011 stuff works. I have run my P-16 with my Ghost. Just find one that is OK with the rounded trigger gaurd

Welcome to the Forum and to the Para owners club.

Retread

I shoot a Para 40 and just got back from the Nationals. Gun ran great!

1. I load long @ 1.180, when you maike your rounds check them by dropping them into the chamber. If does not fit, chamber needs to be reamed deeper, thats long. Or load them to fit your existing chamber depth.

2. I use a spot welded mag release to use STI magazines, with the TT base pads, hold 20rds. I have one Para magazine, raised the mag catch slot higher to fit the welded mag catch, with a Dawson base pad, holds 21 rds.

3. I use a Blackhawk holster or a BladeTech will do just fine, I do have a CR holster but really you don't need a race holster, more trouble than it worth, IMO. Travis Tomassie/Para Ordnance shooter at this years Nationals wasn't using a CR like in the past but a DOH holster and many others on the Super Squad, also.

Check out Nils Joanasse setup, very basic!

But I do use CR mag pouches and belt. Changing over to Single Stack with this setup is just a breeze, same setup for both Limited and SS.

You can use all the aftermarket parts, they will fit your Para, when you replace the trigger group, get rid of the 80 series parts and install a spacer from TJ Custom / Brownells sells it. This part fits the gap in the frame where the 80 series part were, just JB weld it in there.

STI triggers are no longer available, use a Guncrafters trigger or SV triggers will work, althought the SV will probable need to be fitted, you can do all that same time the trigger group is being fitted.

good luck

Thank you all for the input. I decided to just get a blade-tech DOH holster so it's easier to run in 3-gun as well. I will wait to order the sleeve as this gun was set up for competition and I forgot to ask about series 80 parts. I'm probably going to find and install a flat trigger anyhow, so I'll just wait till then and figure it out when I get there.

I will most likely go with a modded mag catch to run sti mags eventually but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Just ordered dies and some165 grain bullets for the thing and am hoping to use it in USPSA on the 5th and then 3gun later in October.

Edit:spelling

Edited by SSGJohnV

Nothing wrong with using Para mags. The older mags are better because they are a little longer and could possible hold more rounds. I run older para mags with DP extensions and ismi springs with stock followers,all mags hold 20 reloadable and a few hold 21 allowing to start with 22 rounds.The older mags are out there,you just got to find them.Any 1911 parts will fit a Para with the exception of the trigger,magwells,grips and mags of course. I run long ammo in my para(1.18oal),you don't have to but it will feed better.If running long ammo you will need your chamber cut to except it. With a series 80 safety you can have a 2.5lbs trigger pull with the right parts or you can eliminate the series 80 safety and save the hassle every time you disassemble/reassemble.

You've got a great gun coming. I've been shooting Paras for a long time and prefer the steel frame over plastic.

3# the gun left the factory as a Series 80 if it still has the parts in it I would recommend you pull them out and put in a spacer. Brownells sells them for under 10$. They will have a new trigger as well but none I liked. I wound up leaving the stock trigger in the gun and having the frame drilled and tapped for a takeup adjustment. I have a pic of that if you want to see it toss me an IM with an Email and I wil forward it.

+1 on the spacer. I replaced the FCG on my P-16 with a Cylinder and Slide kit. Smooth.

Edited by tplace

Question on the guncraft trigger. I have a 10-8 flat trigger in my SS 1911. Is the GC trigger longer than the 10-8? What I mean is it the same length as a long trigger or what? Woukd it be easy enough for my smith to shorten it if need be?

I am about to order the GC and a Caspian wide ambi thumb safety to have fitted along with a DP frony sight. Any caveats to those choices?

Question on the guncraft trigger. I have a 10-8 flat trigger in my SS 1911. Is the GC trigger longer than the 10-8? What I mean is it the same length as a long trigger or what? Woukd it be easy enough for my smith to shorten it if need be?

I am about to order the GC and a Caspian wide ambi thumb safety to have fitted along with a DP frony sight. Any caveats to those choices?

Great choices. Yes,the GC flat trigger is a normal long trigger length but flat and can be modified to what ever length you want,it's aluminum. I left mine alone,I have large hands.

Good to know. I received the pistol today. It's in great overall shape, but I'm glad I already have a DP front sight on order, and I might need to replace the rear as well. Thankfully I believe this para is a standard Bomar cut, unlike my Desert Eagle 1911 with its Kimber cuts. Those are a PITA to find sights for.

Series 80 parts are still in it, but the trigger is more than halfway decent, already. Flat trigger is definitely going in, though.

Thanks again for the help and advice. I'm going to run it in USPSA Limited this weekend the way it is in order to make sure I'm not making unnecessary changes, then drop it off at the smith to have tuned up.

I don't think it's a bomar cut, I think it's called a Para LPA rear right cut or something like that. DP has adjustable rear sights for Para to.

Where is the picture of your pistol???

Edited by ParaGunner

http://imgur.com/x0To4bp

http://imgur.com/mjTt996

Ill resize the pics and post them proper tomorrow.

Found a small problem, but luckily the fix is easy and already on its way in the mail. The original plastic mag catch is so worn out you can pull the magazine out of the gun without touching the button...I have a GC extended release already ordered on monday from DP. More to follow tomorroq.

Took her out today. Accuracy was great. The dang mag catch made it a single shot unless I teacupped the grip, but overall very nice.

I learned the importance of staying loyal to a local gunsmith today. I went and tried to see if they could fix me up with a new mag catch for it, seeing as Uspsa is tomorrow morning...and my new GC mag catch won't arrive until tomorrow afternoon, and they took one out of another gun and let me borrow it until Monday. Highly doubt they would have let me if I was some Joe off the street.

Loaded the mags up and the ones with Arredondo base pads take 19, reloadable and the one with the stock Para basepad holds 17. I have a DP basepad on the way so I'll see if they hold 20 with that and Arredondo springs. Here's hoping I can keep it together tomorrow at the match.