Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags wont go all the way in on trojan?

trp

I can jam them in really hard but it looks like the top of the mags hitting the mag catch, can I just file that down a little or polish.?

Any ideas how to fix this

Edited by trp

It goes in when I push the button and its not the magwell it's not even close to that, I'm pretty sure it's the catch, it goes in easier with no rounds in the mag, but with rounds it will barely go

I can jam them in really hard but it looks like the top of the mags hitting the mag catch, can I just file that down a little or polish.?

Any ideas how to fix this

yes, and get the slide off so you can see down inside.

usually the rear section needs the most work.

try not to narrow the catch shelf.

With the slide off the pistol. push a magazine in with pressure on the bottom. Check to see if the magazine is hitting the bottom of the ejector. Seen it on several Trojans and it will quickly break the ejector. Number and check all your magazines. With pressure on the magazine use a piece of paper to check clearance between ejector and magazines, business card works great.

STI sent me a new ejector 38/40 and after a small amount of trimming on the ejector problem solved.

I put an extended Ed Brown magazine release on my pistol, Trojan 9mm. Either purchase a light magazine spring or remove a few coils from the stock one. I like to polish the entry ramp on the magazine catch.

With the slide off, check magazine seating some may require a little shaping on the magazine notch, use a small square file and check often during the process. With the frame stripped a little polishing on the inside of the magazine well helps magazines fall out, fine sandpaper wrapped around a drill rod or wooden rod if doing by hand. If you have fitted a mag well is it blended to the frame? If not the mag well may be dragging on the magazine.

I had the same problem with an additional problem of the mags wouldn't eject fully if you pushed the release all the way in, they would get stuck about a quarter of the way out. If you pushed the release down just so slightly it was fine. I emailed STI they sent me a replacement mag release and all was fine.