Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting H's prepped hammer & sear

jmbaccolyte

Can a parts-changer (definitely not a gunsmith) install Henning's prepped hammer and sear and get an improved SAO trigger? How much fitting is involved? Is there a tutorial somewhere? I feel confident about just changing parts, but don't know where to begin on the fitting process.

Thanks, Nealio. How do you fit the safety?

Also, why aren't the hammer and sear already polished in the critical areas? Is it too expensive to do that at the factory level? It seems like it would take just a little extra time for EGW to polish it up when they're making it.

Has anyone heard from Henning, is he alright?

Edited by jmbaccolyte

To fit the safety you need to stone the front edge of the safety leg so there is a downward angled recess. . The part of the safety that rotates back to block this leg needs to just clear it (ie less than a few thousandths clearance).

IMG_6663.jpg

You can see in the above pic that the safety leg (upper leg on the closer side of the sear) has an angled face on the bottom part of the leg.

The EGW one is square to begin with so you need to stone the end of it at an angle so that safety cam can clear:

425351.jpg

Does the fitting of the safety only apply if it is a newer style safety with the detent in the shaft, I am using an older EAA with the flat safety detent on the outside of the frame. Will this style safety also need to be fitted?

Cheers,

Evan

I thought Henning offered the option to purchase the EGW sear already preped?

And the EGW webpage states there sear needs "litle to no modifications". In my experience if it states "bolt on" or anything like that preoar yourself for a long night lol.

Cheers,

Evan

So the raw EGWs sear has a very thick leg as you can see in the above picture. Is takes hours and hours of stoning by hand to get that leg to the proper thickness (I know from experience). Henning's prepped sear has that work done for you. If I remember correctly you still have to polish them.

As far as fitting on older guns, I don't know

• 1 month later...

I worked on a new (non-prepped) EGW sear and hammer combo today. What a PITA this project turned out to be... .

I am still not done with my trigger job but, before I keep stoning and polishing, I have to make time to go to the range and try out what I have done so far.

Do yourself a favor and buy the prepped parts from Henning or, better yet, send your gun to Rich or Jim (money well spent).

Edited by Cy Soto

You can get a better (crisper, cleaner) trigger break with a harder sear. They also last longer than the stock ones (at least the old black ones, dunno about the newer gold ones). You would change it to get a better trigger, or if you are experiencing "hammer follow", which is when the sear is slipping and allowing the hammer to fall as the gun cycles.

Would there be fitting needed or how much fitting would need to be done if I was going to install a stock Limited hammer while still using the stock sear already in the gun?

If there is allot fitting needed would I be better off taking the time to use an unpreped EGW sear I have? This would also be my first time attempting a hammer sear fitting.

I have a feeling some elbow grease will be needed regardless, so I just want to make sure I am going about it the right way.

Cheers,

Evan

For now a Springfield P9 LSP or an older EAA Witness. I wanted to get it working in the P9 as I convert it to SAO. Then once everything fits and works properly ill swap them into my open EAA and EAA parts into the P9. The EAA is my shooter and I don't want it to be out of comission while I do this and learn.

Cheers,

Evan

Working- I think I'd fit the parts to a pistol and leave them there. From what was mentioned eariler in this thread, it seems its not just the hammer/sear that have to fit well together, the safety also has to work with them and I'll bet the distance between the holes in the frames may be just a tiny bit different as well, which would change how it all fits together.

I just swapped in a fitted and smoothed over hammer, sear, sear housing, trigger bar and plunger that I bought as a package into a Stock three with no issue or interference with the safety.

What I was understanding of the previous post on working the safety over was that it can be an easier alternative to working the sear. If the sear and hammer were previously fitted with a stock safety, should it not fit the same in another gun as long as all the same parts are used and another stock safety is used.

Maybe I should just fit the new stock hammer to the old stock sear, forget about using the EGW sear and leave it all in one gun.

Cheers,

Evan

When I have the new hammer in hand ill install it with the stock parts and see how the fit is. If its close ill just work until its right and smooth everything out, if its way off ill rethink the game plan. Thanks

Cheers,

Evan

when i fitted the EGW sear in my stock 3 special the trigger would go just 1/3 to the rear. i changed the Eric delta hammer and still didnt work. Im back with the stock sear , delta hammer, 13lbs spring and polished internals (not the hooks) and i got 4.5 kg DA and 2kg SA. Im trying to find out how to drop the DA. also only the stock interuptor worked