Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primer feed problem and fix. Check out this video

Just wanted to chime in that you can keep the primer system going once it's started to stick a little bit by spraying it with Hornady One Shot case lube. I've had this problem on my press for the last 6 months and it keeps chugging along. Not a permanent solution but a good one for the lazy.

I have this issue on my 550 as well. I have to, very often, tap the right side of the primer bar to get it to come all the way back. If not,it fails to pick up a primer. They gave me a new plate to try, installed it and right away the same issue. I have this issue with both large and small primers and tapping the right side gets it to come back. Slows down the loading process for sure. This is my only complaint about the press.

CSPCRX, I feel your pain. It will take some diligence, I have used a fine file or fine sand paper on the inside of the primer magazine where the bar rides to take out high spots, not the bar. Also, when tightening the allen screws that hold the primer magazine don't over tighten, snug is good enough. I do not use any lube or graphite, just polish noticeable rub areas. I know everyone can not do this but I take the extra step when cleaning brass to de-prime on a separate single stag press. This keeps the area where the bar slides a lot cleaner. I also polish the rod where it fits into the press, it seems to get a lot of wear and I feel it helps to clean it from time too time. It takes little things to dial it in, this may seem intimidating to a new owner. When I first got my 550 (1985) it ran perfectly, but over time it required some attention to detail. Have loaded thousands of rounds and have no regrets buying my 550.

I have used scotch bright pads on the bars, saw that mentioned a while back and it helped some.

It is picky for sure, i clean it and it will run for a few rounds perfectly then start up. Seems like it doesnt take much to agrivate its function. I still love the press and would use no other. Well i do use a rock chucker for sizing and depriming rifle brass, but thats it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally broke down & called Dillon yesterday (MLK Day) about this problem with my 550. The guy on the phone said the primer cup stud hole in the primer slide is out of round allowing the primer cup to lean lean left and contact the magazine housing. We'll see if he's right when the parts get there. I should also be getting a new bearing plate and miscellaneous consumable parts to replenish my spares kit.

I've had this press for 14 years and have loaded way more 9mm & .223 than .45. Only my small primer slide binds, even with no primers in the press.

Edited by MTGlass

Here's something I've wondered about recently. I'm having trouble again with the press mangling whatever I use to hold the spent primer chute door. When this happens, the door gets stuck and presses hard against the primer slide on the down stroke. I wonder if when this happens, the additional horizontal pressure on the primer slide is what fouls things up?

I also have a 550b with this issue. As the slide extends out to pick up a primer it would chatter/drag a bit and sometimes not fully extend to pick up a primer unless I gently tapped it. My press is older and I noticed quite a bit of play in the primer housing. I made a new bearing as shown in this post but this did not totally solve the issue but did help a little. I then noticed that as the rod pushed the slide out it also place enough pressure on the right side of the slide to push the extending end to the left. This also caused the end with the primer cup to move right which made the bar bind in the housing. Since I had already made the new bearing, and made it a little wider than the original I had enough room to spring clamp a small piece of plastic on the left side of the bearing to keep the slide straight as it extends out. This solved the issue for me. I have loaded hundreds of rounds since without issue. Eventually I will call to get the new housing but for now I'm good to go. And if nothing else it gave me a good reason to spend a cold crappy Michigan afternoon in the home workshop doing something I enjoy. Attached is a picture to better explain.

post-57829-0-31250100-1421803835_thumb.j

I had this problem as well......Owned the press since before they added the b to the 550.

What I ended up doing was adding two tiny pieces of aluminum shim stock under the primer housing sides where the housing contacts the wear plate(?) to give just a little more room for the primer bar. works great and no more sticking.

I cut a pece of teflon sheet .060 to the shape of the primer slide plate and a bit longer. Replaced the slide plate with it. Works for me.

Edited by Zzapp

I cut a pece of teflon sheet .060 to the shape of the primer slide plate and a bit longer. Replaced the slide plate with it. Works for me.

I made my extended slide plate from a peice of Brass I had left from another project. It is working well so far but I expect it will wear relatively quickly. Is the Teflon sheet you used Teflon coated steel and if so where can it be purchased?

I made my extended slide plate from a peice of Brass I had left from another project. It is working well so far but I expect it will wear relatively quickly. Is the Teflon sheet you used Teflon coated steel and if so where can it be purchased?

No, it is just thin teflon sheet. I get scrapes like that from a local plastics supply.

If you look at the 550 DIY casefeeder video I have up on here you can see the teflon piece under the primer slide housing.

Edited by Zzapp

I have had some upgraded bearing plates made and they are for sale on Ebay. I cannot guarantee that these will fix all of your primer issues, but it will help smooth out the primer bar operation if you are having issues with that. I have one of these plates installed in my 550, but my 550 is new and I really hadn't began having trouble. Search "550 bearing plate" on Ebay if you are interested.