Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Safety vs Frame Safety

Moltke

The grip safety is not "Marketing fluff" please enjoy the following quote:

"Since cavalry troops were going to be the primary combat users of the pistol, several specific design features, like the grip safety and lanyard ring, were mandated by the horse soldiers. (Nothing will turn a cavalry trooper into an infantryman faster than shooting his own horse by accident.)" :surprise:

As has been stated above it was the US Government that mandated the grip safety.

I disable all GS on my comp guns but on my carry 1911's all safeties work.

In 1910 when the U.S. Cavalry speced a lanyard loop to secure the pistol to the horseman it did indeed preclude a grip safety that would engage automatically if and when he lost his grip on the pistol while at a full gallop. They had a lot of things that might have gotten in the triger guard of a pistol wildly bouncing around on a running horse. I am certain were I a cavalryman back then I would not of considered it marketing fluff. Today however I consider it an unnecessary and often troublesome addition. I disable mine.

Depends on hand size and most of all, how it's gripped. Some people with small hands have trouble when they try to grip high.

The biggest knock on the 1911 grip safety was a documented case where an LE was streuggling to shoot somebody behind them who was choking them or otherwise trying to kill them and the "turned" position of the 1911 the LE was holding would not let it fire.

Anyway, a lot of people have had problems. Obviously, a normal sized hand on the center of the grip in normal grip is probably not going to.