Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holdovers for Pistol?

saibot

I shot an outlaw match this weekend and did pretty well on the close range stuff but really had it handed to me on the small 4" targets at 25 yards on one stage and on a small plate rack at 15ish yards. I do know how to deliver a good shot when I need to, but my issue this weekend was with my sights. I apparently need to put on a longer front sight since I was shooting over the tops of the targets and finally figured that out on these targets. On the 4" targets at 25 yards I had to hold the top of the sight post about an inch under the bottom edge of the target to hit it. On the small plate rack at 15 yards I held the same sight picture and was hitting just below the plate and found holding at the bottom 1/3rd hit the targets.

I am getting a new longer front sight to fix this, but I have a couple of questions about it. If it hits close to perfect at 7 yards and it's high at 15+ should I expect it to be low closer in?

Have you found you need to use holdovers at distance? If so, what distance do you start seeing a drop?

And for what it's worth, I'm using a 9mm M&P Pro, 124 grain bullets with plenty of room above power factor.

Thanks, all.

Usually from 5 - 25 yards with a 9mm minor, you shouldn't have to old over or under with iron sights.

I have set my sights for 25 yards, and tested them at 5 & 15 yards - that way I know where they hit.

Also great idea, while you're at the range, to see where they hit at 40 - 50 yards (in case some wise

guy sets a longer target out for you). :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...