Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

liberty "national security" safe -What is it worth

jeremy kemlo

What is the value of a 2003 liberty, national security, classic safe. 45 min fire, 36x72x26, 1,200 lbs, 1 and 7/16 body 3/16 carbon body, 3/8 plate door. perfect condition! A 2013 model is around $4,000 but there have been some improvements in the last 10 years. Neither me or the seller have a good idea on the price. Thanks

A safe made by Liberty and in the condition you describe (perfect) shouldn't lose much value in 10 years. I would recommend using what the seller paid for it as a baseline to begin negotiations. Not certain what the improvements are you are referencing, but the buyer needs to determine what they are worth to him personally. And sometimes "improvements" aren't necessarily "improvements". Not saying this is the case with Liberty safes, but some of the "Improved" electronic locks aren't an improvement over a manual one, for more reasons than one!

This safe has a 45 fire rating. New ones are 21/2 hour. This safe hase gears new ones use cams. It is a manual combo dial. Steal is very heavy 1200 lbs. Don't know the original price. Her husband passed years ago. She is moving and does not need the safe.

I called liberty. They could not give me a value or how much it sold for in 03

Interesting. 2 years ago they gave me an estimate for the market value of a 10 year old Liberty safe. I emailed them some photos of safe to show the condition and model. I didn't ask about the original purchase price. I suspect that can vary quite a bit depending on the dealer markup.

I know you want to be fair, but what is fair when you ned to get rid of something ASAFP? That is where things get strange. I have picked up items and even vehicles for free 'cause someone was moving and just wanted to have the hassle of dealing with something off of their minds. Haven't found anything comparable to it online for sale?

My opinion - where the safe is located in the seller's home and how much cost, effort and risk are required to remove it will have a real impact on how much I would pay for the safe.

If it is located in the garage and anyone with a pallet jack can easily move it out and pull it up a ramp via block & tackle into a pickup truck, then the seller is in a decent position to bargain with prospective buyers and try and get the best price. it would be relatively easy and low risk for me to get it out of there, so I would be more willing to pay for the full "resale value" of the safe, whatever I figure that is.

If the safe is located on the top floor of the home and the buyer has to move it down two flights of stairs and navigate a couple of narrow doorways, then I (and perhaps many other prospective buyers) are going to be a lot less interested in paying top dollar for the privilege of getting that thing out of the seller's house. in that scenario, it would cost me a fair amount in time and perhaps equipment rental and I'd definitely have to rope in three or four friends to help me out. I'd also have to figure out how much out of pocket $ it will cost me if I damage the home getting the safe out of it, let alone what the risk to me or my friends is if we have a snafu getting it down the stairs...

good luck!